Question ASUS router slows down over 80% when I enable WPA2 security ?

Nov 6, 2023
I have an Asus RT-AC68U router that I just updated to the newest firmware. After playing with the settings I noticed it was very slow. I kept testing different things to try and speed it up before resetting it to factory defaults. After rebooting with no security, my laptop started downloading at 146Mbps. When I enabled WPA2 security the speed dropped to 23Mps.
I took it back off and speed is back to 146Mbps. I know it's having to do a bit more work, but 80% seems a little drastic.
Any ideas? Kinda need the security but a bit more speed would be nice too.

Nov 6, 2023
That does seem a bit excessive. How many devices do have connected to the router?

Also, have you actually fully powered it down and fully restarted it since updating the firmware?
I only have 1 desktop computer plugged in directly. I powered it down and restarted it. Nothing else is running off the router at all when I do the speed test and it still sucks.

kanewolf

Titan
I have an Asus RT-AC68U router that I just updated to the newest firmware. After playing with the settings I noticed it was very slow. I kept testing different things to try and speed it up before resetting it to factory defaults. After rebooting with no security, my laptop started downloading at 146Mbps. When I enabled WPA2 security the speed dropped to 23Mps.
I took it back off and speed is back to 146Mbps. I know it's having to do a bit more work, but 80% seems a little drastic.
Any ideas? Kinda need the security but a bit more speed would be nice too.
Start with a factory reset of the router. Then set only the SSID and password. Leave everything else alone. By default the WIFI security should be WPA2.
I would also recommend using Merlin firmware -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ for maximum performance and stability.

There are lots of options in the router that can slow things. Starting with a factory reset clears any options that you might not realize slow performance.
If there are options you believe you must have, enable them one at a time and retest. I bet it is something besides WPA2 that is actually causing the problem.

Nov 6, 2023
How old is that router? I used to have one of those, several years ago.

Also, have you scanned your desktop PC for malware? Just checking to ensure nothing is going on in the background that you aren't ware of.
The router is probably 4 years old. Computer is clean

Do you have the same of different SSID on the 2.4 and 5 radios. That speed difference is about what you would expect if you were using the 5 radio and it then changed to the 2.4. If the SSID are different you can force it. You could easily test this by turning off the 2.4g radio temporarily in the router.

TRENDING THREADS