[SOLVED] Asus RT-5300 slowing down ISP speeds

allgar

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014
Simply put, I get speeds around 900-975Mbps (I pay for Gigabit) when connected directly to the modem, but am getting speeds in the 600-700Mbps range when connected to the router. I'm using CAT-5e cables and both have been tested and run same speeds from modem. I have NAT Acceleration set to Auto (other option is disable), I do not have QoS turned on... honestly I'm just not sure what is causing the slow down. Any thoughts? Settings I should look at?

I'll buy some CAT-6 but to be fair, I don't think it's a cable thing. Love to know the thoughts of anyone familiar with the Asus firmware.

Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_45717-gadd52a8

kanewolf

Titan
If you want gigabit wired performance you will have to get a better router. The $50 Mikrotik HEX can get 900+ Separate your wired and wireless and get devices optimized for each function. That Asus looks impressive with all the antennas sticking up, but it is a lot of hype.

allgar

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014
Thank you so much. I figured it might be something like that. To be fair, this is a pretty big first world problem, I was just perplexed. I like the coverage of this Asus for Wifi and to be honest, the speeds I'm getting over ethernet are more than sufficient for my needs. It was just an annoyance more than anything, a perplexing question in my brain. Thank you for taking the time to answer Kanewolf.