Question ASUS RT-AC86U keeps disconnecting from the router ?

Camfred30

Reputable
Mar 19, 2020
i have a asus router in my bedroom which is connected to a virgin media box downstairs. I have the asus router on media bridge mode on my virgins 5ghz band. The asus router is connected to my pc via ethernet and when im gaming or even sitting on my desktop i will lose connection for about a minute or so then it will come back again.

I understand 5ghz band can sometimes be unstable if theres too much traffic but i have even tried media bridge with 2.4ghz, wireless mode -2.4 and 5ghz. They all end up having ping spikes apart from the media bridge in 5ghz.

Things ive tried:
- Resetting PC
- Resetting Both Routers
- Changing DNS
- Changing ethernet cable
- Connecting to different operation modes.

Ive been okay with these settings for ages now and all of a sudden its like this and i dont know why

Could be as simple as one of your neighbors got a new router and it is running on the same channels.

What you are doing really isn't much different than using a wifi card in your pc or even a USB connected wifi card. The signal from the main router still has to get all the way to your room and then back again.

You could try to change the radio channel maybe you get lucky for a while before someone else starts to use that channel.

There is a small chance the router in your room has become defective but it generally will not affect both the 2.4 and 5 radio. You I guess could check the log and see if maybe the router is crashing, this is highly unlikely.

If you have a wifi card you might test it so see if it also gets issues. The only advantage to using a router in bridge mode is you could run the ethernet cable out the room and place it somewhat closer to the main router than you can with a USB extension cable.

Camfred30

Reputable
Mar 19, 2020
Could be as simple as one of your neighbors got a new router and it is running on the same channels.

What you are doing really isn't much different than using a wifi card in your pc or even a USB connected wifi card. The signal from the main router still has to get all the way to your room and then back again.

You could try to change the radio channel maybe you get lucky for a while before someone else starts to use that channel.

There is a small chance the router in your room has become defective but it generally will not affect both the 2.4 and 5 radio. You I guess could check the log and see if maybe the router is crashing, this is highly unlikely.

If you have a wifi card you might test it so see if it also gets issues. The only advantage to using a router in bridge mode is you could run the ethernet cable out the room and place it somewhat closer to the main router than you can with a USB extension cable.
I understand, to change the channel id have to log onto the asus router online, but once you set it up in a mode that isnt as a wireless router then your unable to even log into the router settings. It just comes up error. How do you suppose i go about logging in under the bridge operation mode

You change the channel in the main router. The bridge router will use whatever channel the main router is using.
You can actually log into your "bridge" router but you need to set the LAN ip correctly.

Camfred30

Reputable
Mar 19, 2020
update: i ended up changing the channel of the 5ghz on the main router and still the same thing happened.

Do you suggest me changing my router from bridge to repeater in that case?

Repeater mode will likely make things worse. You will be transmitting a interfering wifi signal that you are not actually going to use.

Maybe move the device around in the room maybe you get lucky. It is purely a matter of getting more signal from the main router. You are pretty limited when you have walls/ceilings absorbing the signal.

Camfred30

Reputable
Mar 19, 2020
Repeater mode will likely make things worse. You will be transmitting a interfering wifi signal that you are not actually going to use.

Maybe move the device around in the room maybe you get lucky. It is purely a matter of getting more signal from the main router. You are pretty limited when you have walls/ceilings absorbing the signal.
turns out ive tried that too, moved it just closer to the door. not sure what else to suggest. The internet would just go out for a couple seconds now and come back again.

Camfred30

Reputable
Mar 19, 2020
i opened up event viewer on my pc to see if there was anything i could find, turns out throughout the day im getting the error 'The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet.; aswell as 'Disk 1 has been surprise removed.; im not sure if they have to do anything with it

Event viewer is pretty much worthless when you connected the way you are. From the PC viewpoint you are using a ethernet cable and the physical connection is not going down. All the wifi function is in your bridge device and it does not talk to the pc.

Your pc at best can tell it does not have internet access but it will give you the same message if you turn off your main router or cancel your contract with the ISP.

Now I guess it could be a software problem, this is why testing with a ethernet cable to main router is commonly suggest to eliminate this possibility.