Question Asus RT-AX3000 not connecting properly to the internet as primary router

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I bought two of these routers with each one having a different version. One is V3 and the other is called A1. I got the one with A1 today and when I tried setting it up as the primary router, it doesn't connect properly and the pages don't load as expected. Then I tried my old TP Link Archer A7 router as the primary router and that worked fine for some reason. Even after trying the V3 to connect it as primary, its still causing issues. The connection I'm using is PPPoE.

The issues I'm referring to are long times to load pages, DNS errors, pages don't load and still showing as disconnected. I have to call the ISP to see if the issue is on their side and if not then I have to contact ASUS.

Is the AX3000 known to be buggy? If so, then what can I do to fix it? I was told this router is good and should perform well.

Solution
My internet service provider is cherrinet

And yes they provided the modem but we have a choice to use routers of our own.
When you switch routers, the ISP "remembers" the MAC address of the previous one and it usually takes a few min to reset. The typical approach is to power off the modem for 15min then power up. After the modem has initialized, then plug the new router into the modem and power up the router.
IF your Asus doesn't get a WAN IP address, then you may have to contact the ISP, tell them you are switching routers and ask for your line to be reset.

kanewolf

Titan
I bought two of these routers with each one having a different version. One is V3 and the other is called A1. I got the one with A1 today and when I tried setting it up as the primary router, it doesn't connect properly and the pages don't load as expected. Then I tried my old TP Link Archer A7 router as the primary router and that worked fine for some reason. Even after trying the V3 to connect it as primary, its still causing issues. The connection I'm using is PPPoE.

The issues I'm referring to are long times to load pages, DNS errors, pages don't load and still showing as disconnected. I have to call the ISP to see if the issue is on their side and if not then I have to contact ASUS.

Is the AX3000 known to be buggy? If so, then what can I do to fix it? I was told this router is good and should perform well.
Who is your internet provider and do you have an ISP provided modem ?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

kanewolf

Titan
My internet service provider is cherrinet

And yes they provided the modem but we have a choice to use routers of our own.
When you switch routers, the ISP "remembers" the MAC address of the previous one and it usually takes a few min to reset. The typical approach is to power off the modem for 15min then power up. After the modem has initialized, then plug the new router into the modem and power up the router.
IF your Asus doesn't get a WAN IP address, then you may have to contact the ISP, tell them you are switching routers and ask for your line to be reset.

Reactions: WrongRookie
Solution

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

Hey thanks that really worked! How did you know that it was the mac address that's the problem?

kanewolf

Titan
Hey thanks that really worked! How did you know that it was the mac address that's the problem?
Experience. Lots of people have issues swapping routers back and forth with ISPs. To minimize the chance of theft and to help with their internal bookkeeping, they associate the router's MAC address with the connection. You have to allow that association to time out. It is common behavior with ISPs.