[SOLVED] Asus RT-AX82U Port Forwarding

Dec 17, 2021
I had a game server I setup running Insurgency Sandstorm but had a hacking attempt and my older Netgear router was flashed while I was checking status. So I went down and purchased a newer ASUS RT-AX82U router.

After reinstalling software (Windows) I have not been able to open up the port forwarding on this router to get connections to the game server. There are actually two places you can do port forwarding, under WAN, which is where I have it setup now as well as under Gaming.

There are a lot of features on this router including a firewall. Just curious if anyone has setup this router with port forwarding and run into the same issue and how they resolved it.

Currently the router or server gives no indication that any connections are attempted through the internet. Nothing in the logs. Connecting locally is not problem.

Solution
The best first step when port forwarding is not working correctly is to use the DMZ option. This tends to be less confusing to configure. When that works you can go back and figure out actual port forwarding rules.

It would not hurt to turn off the firewall. If I remember correctly unless you turn on more features the firewall only blocks attacks against the router.

If DMZ does not work I would suspect a issue with the server

kanewolf

Titan
I had a game server I setup running Insurgency Sandstorm but had a hacking attempt and my older Netgear router was flashed while I was checking status. So I went down and purchased a newer ASUS RT-AX82U router.

After reinstalling software (Windows) I have not been able to open up the port forwarding on this router to get connections to the game server. There are actually two places you can do port forwarding, under WAN, which is where I have it setup now as well as under Gaming.

There are a lot of features on this router including a firewall. Just curious if anyone has setup this router with port forwarding and run into the same issue and how they resolved it.

Currently the router or server gives no indication that any connections are attempted through the internet. Nothing in the logs. Connecting locally is not problem.
Have you verified that you have a public IP address? Does your WAN address shown in the status match what is displayed on https://whatsmyip.com/ ??

Dec 17, 2021
Yes, the router is showing the same IP as whatismyIP.

I can connect through Rcon which is one port though to the server, so that means at least this port is making it,

The best first step when port forwarding is not working correctly is to use the DMZ option. This tends to be less confusing to configure. When that works you can go back and figure out actual port forwarding rules.

It would not hurt to turn off the firewall. If I remember correctly unless you turn on more features the firewall only blocks attacks against the router.

Solution
Dec 17, 2021

I can setup DMZ and test again, but have been hesitant since there was a previous hacking attack. But I did have it on once and no results, but my confusion is the server was originally working. It is possible I am missing something on the server. Will try DMZ first.

That is the risk of using DMZ long term but mostly it is to confirm that you have a mistake in the port forwarding rules. The port forwarding on some routers is very confusing and trying the DMZ can quickly show you if it you need to keep digging around in the port forwarding or if there is another issue.

Dec 17, 2021
That is the risk of using DMZ long term but mostly it is to confirm that you have a mistake in the port forwarding rules. The port forwarding on some routers is very confusing and trying the DMZ can quickly show you if it you need to keep digging around in the port forwarding or if there is another issue.

I agree on the confusing part of this router. I did get a connection with the DMA on, so I am looking at the required ports.

I was told I only needed 3 ports, but after looking at my server log connections on DMZ there are more ports that need to be open. The problem is every site you go to lists a different set or ports for this game server, but at least I know it is something I should be able to resolve.

Again, thanks for the sanity check, really appreciate it.