Review Asus RT-AX86U Gaming Router Review: Compact but Pricey

LongTallMatt

Commendable
Nov 5, 2020
Asus’ entry-level gaming router gets the essentials right, with a combination of gaming-centric features in a compact shell.

Asus RT-AX86U Gaming Router Review: Compact but Pricey : Read more

You mentioned the router lacks a third band, yet you never discuss or explain what that third band is. as a layman I do not know what you're talking about, isn't that bad writing style? Isn't that like using an acronym before describing it? Shouldn't a reader be able to read your work with near zero knowledge and be able to understand? Aren't Tom's hardware articles supposed to be like dinner table conversation?

Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Splendid
The AX86U is the updated replacement for the AC86U which was also a Dual band router. They were never going to make it a 3 antenna design. They have other models that cover that.

The Lack of RGB is a plus not a negative.

A couple things missed in the plus column.

1. You can run Asus Merlin firmware which is 3rd party and better than stock firm.
  2. Both Asus and Merlin keep the firmware updated on a regular basis which is important for security. And patching CVE exploits which is something netgear sucks at.
  3. SNB forums is dedicated to supporting stock and merlin firmware so you have a place for support outside of just Asus directly.
With these things considered and the fact that is has a 2.5Gbps Wan/Lan port is worth the price tag over a Dlink,netgear or TPlink model.

And full disclosure i'm using a AX88U with Merlin firmware for about 2 years now and its been fantastic.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
I own this router and have found it to be remarkably stable and reliable with consistent performance both wired and wireless. Despite the price, the reputation for reliability of this router was really appealing and it performs beyond my expectations. I use it for gaming too and have no complaints about its performance. If you value stable, reliable performance with sufficient features to satisfy the average household, I highly recommend this router.

bazzarooney

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Lacks RGB=Win who needs it on a router, you can even turn off the status lights if the blinky-blinkies annoy you. As for pricey, I picked one up in Canada for 279.99 which is around 200 USD. Any one that gets this will have a decent, stable and reliable router. For a much better experience, install the Merlin firmware.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Sounds like a solid router for people who don't need a guest network at all. The lack of RGB lighting is a godsend as well unless all it has is annoying high powered LEDs that light the room.

The ability to use third party firmware that has more features is a plus as well, provided they ever stop updating the official one and the third party one continues patching issues.

MarkHughes

Honorable
Feb 27, 2015
I bought one of these a few weeks ago, I like the look of it but it also seems to be very stable and much faster than my old router. No RGB simply saved me the job of switching off the RGB or paying for something I don't want. It has a set of nice white blinky lights on the front which also look good. To me the configuration was very easy but the list of options you have access too seems very comprehensive. I'm really liking it so far, Might grab another later as I am to understand you can link them up to give greater range.

Reactions: jsuppan

JasonL265

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Asus AX86U - 1.8 GHz quad-core processor with 1GB Ram for $250 - 3 Stars

Asus AX82U - 1.5 GHz tri-core processor with 512 MB RAM for $230 but has RGB - 4 Stars

I would probably pay the extra $20 for the extra performance over RGB and rate it higher as well...

Reactions: jsuppan

jsuppan

Reputable
Apr 8, 2018
I recently bought this router as well as the RT-AX92U. I am not into gaming so RGB etc is not a concern for me. Regard using this router in ASUS' AiMesh option, rather then the AX86 +_AX92 combination, would I be better off with two of the same unit and if so, which pair would be more appropriate? One floor home < 92sq.m. and will deploy wired backhaul. Thanks.

jsuppan

Reputable
Apr 8, 2018
I bought one of these a few weeks ago, I like the look of it but it also seems to be very stable and much faster than my old router. No RGB simply saved me the job of switching off the RGB or paying for something I don't want. It has a set of nice white blinky lights on the front which also look good. To me the configuration was very easy but the list of options you have access too seems very comprehensive. I'm really liking it so far, Might grab another later as I am to understand you can link them up to give greater range.

This is what I did just recently. i purchased the RT-AX86U to replace my older RT-AC5300U. I am now debating whether to get a second unit of the same RT-AX86U x2, alternatively RT-AX92U tri-band x2, or have one of each. In any case, I intend to use ASUS' AiMesh technology to extend the reach. The two routers will be connected by wired backhaul.