Review Asus RT-AXE7800 WiFi 6E Router Review: Slow Speeds, High Price

toffty

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
I had Asus routers for years. The last few years, each of their routers started to die within a year of light use.

I've ditched Asus and gone with TpLink and so far, they've worked flawlessly and much better connections & throughput. Went with a simple wired router, reused switch, and two access points for more fail-over in case one dies.
Hopefully they'll live longer. Six months in.

Reactions: sebastienbo

sebastienbo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
I had Asus routers for years. The last few years, each of their routers started to die within a year of light use.

I've ditched Asus and gone with TpLink and so far, they've worked flawlessly and much better connections & throughput. Went with a simple wired router, reused switch, and two access points for more fail-over in case one dies.
Hopefully they'll live longer. Six months in.
I agree.

Plus all those spider looking routers are ugly and take huge amount of desk space. A router should not be pretty or be equipped with RGB, since it should be placed in a central place of your home, and usually at 2m height if you want good WiFi reception, therefore you don't see a router when it is placed correctly.

The only good routers are the xt9 and xt12, very small footprint,no annoying red or blue led, just a white steady soft led that doesn't disturb .

Small footprint, and very fast.

But the main reason I stopped purchasing Asus, is simply because they are the only company that doesn't have an outdoor ap for your camera's, doorbells, lawnmowers,or when sitting outside...
Purchasing another brand for outdoor in combination with Asus is a real bad idea, nothing is compatibel with Asus aimesh

The xt9 is low powered 12v and would be the best candidate for converting it to an outdoor model

Reactions: toffty
Aug 31, 2023
My experience doesn't line up with this review. From 7 feet away I can routinely get 500+mb/sec down and up on the 5ghz band and about 100 mb/sec more on the 6e band. I'm in a high rise so there's always congestion. From 25 feet away I can still get 3-400 down on the 5 Ghz band.

I agree that the design is goofy, but the throughput is roughly double your findings and the distance circumference is really good. Maybe the reviewer got a defective model.

Sep 26, 2023
My experience doesn't line up with this review. From 7 feet away I can routinely get 500+mb/sec down and up on the 5ghz band and about 100 mb/sec more on the 6e band. I'm in a high rise so there's always congestion. From 25 feet away I can still get 3-400 down on the 5 Ghz band.

I agree that the design is goofy, but the throughput is roughly double your findings and the distance circumference is really good. Maybe the reviewer got a defective model.
Yes this doesn't line up with my experience either. I have 2 of these setup in AI-mesh with 6ghz as backhaul.
There is about 3 meters (9-10ft) of distance between the two and a thick concrete wall. I consistently get 750-800mbps on iperf.

Even though the router is somewhat disappointing on the 6ghz band regarding range/stability. These speeds in the review seem way to low. 5ghz also give me an easy 400-550mbps.

Oct 20, 2023
Find it strange, ALL other reviews give this router top or close to top score.

Feb 5, 2024
I agree.

Plus all those spider looking routers are ugly and take huge amount of desk space. A router should not be pretty or be equipped with RGB, since it should be placed in a central place of your home, and usually at 2m height if you want good WiFi reception, therefore you don't see a router when it is placed correctly.

The only good routers are the xt9 and xt12, very small footprint,no annoying red or blue led, just a white steady soft led that doesn't disturb .

Small footprint, and very fast.

But the main reason I stopped purchasing Asus, is simply because they are the only company that doesn't have an outdoor ap for your camera's, doorbells, lawnmowers,or when sitting outside...
Purchasing another brand for outdoor in combination with Asus is a real bad idea, nothing is compatibel with Asus aimesh

The xt9 is low powered 12v and would be the best candidate for converting it to an outdoor model
Not my experience. Other than the T-Mobile model that T-Mobile made them break AiMesh on I haven't had an early failure with ASUS. Still running an RT-AC5300 (6-7 years old), although I demoted it to the garage. Running two RT-AX92u in the house (about 4 years old). I have this odd house with "plaster on lath" construction, a brick chimney in the middle of the house, and a concrete block detached garage. Small house but I need routers front and back (in the attic), plus a router in the garage, because of the walls. Of course with this particular setup I can use my own WiFi even across the street and two doors down inside my sister's house, or about 5 houses away up and down the street.