[SOLVED] Asus RT-N66R: QoS & MS Teams

mattb

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
I have the Asus RT-N66R router. I had taken it out of service a year ago to troubleshoot something and only just reinstated it (since the issue was not the router and my replacement router wasn't performing as well as I'd like).
It seems to be working ok and is maybe a little snappier then the other one (TP Link) but I'm having issues in Teams (connecting to Office365) calls with work. I looked around for a QOS solution in the router and what I need to prioritize for Teams but there seems to be some differences between the recommendations and what I can set in the admin interface of the router.
This article outlines the ports to prioritize, for example 50,000-50,0019 for audio.
But my router config will not let me enter a port range. It seems I can enter up to three comma separated ports per rule.
So my first question is should I just split this into 7 rules to cover the ports? Or is there a better way to do this? Or should I get a newer router that would support this better?
We have two people working from home here, both Teams users and I'm a software engineer and I use other protocols like FTP quite a bit too. Our connection is a pretty fast fiber 100MBPS connection.

Any suggestions for better Teams performance would be appreciated!

Solution
Generally you should not need QoS when you have 100mbps download. QoS is purely a function that chooses which data to send first. Unless you are actually using 100% of your bandwidth there is no choice to be made and all data is sent immediately and there no choice to be made.

The reason they limit the number of ports it is fairly cpu intensive to run a bunch of rules. Not all routers allow you to run a range of ports even though you would think that that would be more efficient.

You best option is going to be to look at third party firmware. I know you can do it with the IPTABLES commands but that is very messy way to do it. You could check if any have a gui that will work for you. They generate the IPTABLES commands for...

kanewolf

Titan
I have the Asus RT-N66R router. I had taken it out of service a year ago to troubleshoot something and only just reinstated it (since the issue was not the router and my replacement router wasn't performing as well as I'd like).
It seems to be working ok and is maybe a little snappier then the other one (TP Link) but I'm having issues in Teams (connecting to Office365) calls with work. I looked around for a QOS solution in the router and what I need to prioritize for Teams but there seems to be some differences between the recommendations and what I can set in the admin interface of the router.
This article outlines the ports to prioritize, for example 50,000-50,0019 for audio.
But my router config will not let me enter a port range. It seems I can enter up to three comma separated ports per rule.
So my first question is should I just split this into 7 rules to cover the ports? Or is there a better way to do this? Or should I get a newer router that would support this better?
We have two people working from home here, both Teams users and I'm a software engineer and I use other protocols like FTP quite a bit too. Our connection is a pretty fast fiber 100MBPS connection.

Any suggestions for better Teams performance would be appreciated!
Your uplink speed is all that can be altered with QOS. If you have 100Mbit uplink, you won't benefit from QOS. If you have 10Mbit, then you might benefit.

Generally you should not need QoS when you have 100mbps download. QoS is purely a function that chooses which data to send first. Unless you are actually using 100% of your bandwidth there is no choice to be made and all data is sent immediately and there no choice to be made.

The reason they limit the number of ports it is fairly cpu intensive to run a bunch of rules. Not all routers allow you to run a range of ports even though you would think that that would be more efficient.

You best option is going to be to look at third party firmware. I know you can do it with the IPTABLES commands but that is very messy way to do it. You could check if any have a gui that will work for you. They generate the IPTABLES commands for you. I would first look at older version of the merlin firmware. That router does not have enough memory to run the newest version but I it had very advanced QoS settings. You could also look at dd-wrt.

Do you actually have some issue because QoS only really fixes over utilization issues. The only true solution is to reduce your usage or buy more bandwidth.

Solution