[SOLVED] ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Edition clock speed

Aug 8, 2019
Hello everyone,
I was curious about my gpu clock speed and if its reaching the marketed 1890 mhz. So i installed msi afterburner and enabled overlay. The clock speed was above 2000 mhz in shadow of the tomb raider with about 95% gpu load. Is this normal or is the card overclocked by some bios setting. I dont wanna overclock any parts just yet.

ASUS RTX 2080 O8G ROG STRIX OC Edition
Intel i9 9900k 4.7ghz on all corew (not overclocked)
16 gb corsair lpx vengeance 3200 mhz

Solution
What you are witnessing is GPU boost from Nvidia. When you have enough power and cooling headroom the GPU overclock a itself to deliver better performance. After a certain thermal threshold it will return to normal clocks and again overclock when it cools enough.

Don't worry, it's absolutely safe and totally normal.
What you are witnessing is GPU boost from Nvidia. When you have enough power and cooling headroom the GPU overclock a itself to deliver better performance. After a certain thermal threshold it will return to normal clocks and again overclock when it cools enough.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 8, 2019
What you are witnessing is GPU boast from Nvidia. When you have enough power and cooling headroom the GPU overclock a itself to deliver better performance. After a certain thermal threshold it will return to normal clocks and again overclock when it cools enough.

Nice i learned of this recently, thanks for the reply