ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Dual OC low fps

Nov 14, 2018
I bought quite a high end computer. 1000W PSU, i9-9900K, 32GB 3866Mhz Trident Z, Asus Maximus XI Formula and RTX 2080 Ti.
However, my frame rate in 3Dmark Time spy is really low (as well as my Graphics card score). We're talking ~20fps at 4K. I noticed a curious thing when using GPU-Z: http:// (Don't mind fan speed since I'm watercooling). As you can see I have 100% GPU core utilization but I'm only burning ~100W. Isn't that a bit strange? Or perhaps this isn't the issue. But then what might be the problem?`I have the latest drivers and I've also tried stepping back graphics drivers, but I get the same result. I'm not doing any overclocking at the moment, I've disabled G-sync and vertical sync during the test, I've verified through GPU-Z that it's running PCI-E 3.0 at 16x. I'm starting to be out of ideas. Anyone have the same issues? Or just a good solution? :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Seems fairly warm for water cooling, usually would expect to see low-mid 50s with water cooling, with idles in the 20s and low 30s, and that boost clock is very low. GPU load says 100% but the TDP is ~100W but only showing 40% of rated TDP.

Make sure Windows is set to high performance mode. Also, start overclocking, could just be stubborn and staying at base clock or something.

I know there have been issues with some RTX cards. So it could be faulty.

Nov 14, 2018
Hmm. I might have been a bit generous on thermal paste, so maybe I should redo that part. Do you know if it limits itself if the temp gets higher than it should at a given wattage?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think the temperature throttling works that way. Should run up to 100% power and reach the temperature throttle point before backing off. That doesn't usually ever happen with water cooling. Even if I keep my loop saturated for hours the highest temperature I believe I have ever seen is 61C, usually sticks around 55C for gaming.

So try out maximum power and adjust the temperature slider around. It could be that the stock vBIOS on that card has the temperature set really low, might need a flashing, but that would be something to ask ASUS before proceeding. These cards are too new to have much out there, but you might check some of the hardcore overclocking forums. A lot of people make copies of their vBIOS and upload them so people can try swapping them around the cards, can often get added features that way with cheaper cards.

I'm interested if anyone will unlock the RGB on the reference 2080 and 2080Ti. The cooler clearly supports it, someone plugged a reference EVGA card into a reference cooler and was able to change the color of the logo.

Nov 14, 2018
Just tried to overclock with MSI afterburner and their OC Scanner. Result was this:
20:30:02 GPU1 : VEN_10DE&DEV_1E07&SUBSYS_86671043&REV_A1&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0
20:30:02 Memory clock +0MHz
20:30:02 Overvoltage 100%
20:30:02 Power limit 120%
20:30:02 Thermal limit 88 °C
20:30:02 Fan speed 1 Auto
20:30:02 Fan speed 2 Auto
20:30:02 Start scanning, please wait a few minutes
20:30:03 Scanning point 1 of 4
20:30:32 Scanning point 2 of 4
20:30:41 Scanning point 3 of 4
20:30:47 Scanning point 4 of 4
20:30:53 Scan succeeded, average overclock is 0MHz
20:30:53 Dominant limiters
20:30:53 Power
20:30:53 No load
20:30:53 Overclocked curve exported to MSI Afterburner

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Should probably be doing it manually. Just throw more clock at it and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't something else is wrong.

The block could be improperly installed and the GPU is protecting itself, but I wouldn't think it would be smart enough to prevent it from trying to ramp up.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
This does seem to be a symptom of a uncommon problem reporting on both Pascal and Turing.

Most common suggestion was to change the performance setting in the Nvidia control panel, or at least change it and change it back. Some say this is an issue with the power delivery system on the card and it is protecting itself.

Is it possible you shorted something out when you installed the GPU block? If it isn't getting proper feedback from its current sensors it might refuse to go over 40%.