Asus Sabertooth X79 won't POST

phase44

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I just finished building a new PC with all new components. On start-up, the motherboard green LED lights up and remains lit green, but nothing else happens. No beeps, no sound, seems like there is no output signal to any devices. Nothing on the monitor, like dead.

Here's my spec:

Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard (Socket 2011, Intel X79, DDR3, ATX, PCI Express 3.0, USB 3.0, Thermal Armor, ASUS SSD Caching) Serial Number: D3M0AD632680Intel BX80619I73930K Core i7-3930K 6-Core Processor (3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), Socket 2011, 12MB L3 Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0) Corsair CMD32GX3M4A1866C9 Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz CL9 XMPAsus GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC Nvidia Graphics Card (2GB GDDR5)Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze (TX850M)Crucial CT480M500SSD1 2.5-inch 480GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive

Double checked 10 times all cables. PCU seated correctly. Removed all RAM and tried one at stick at a time (4 sticks). Cleared the CMOS. Fans connected all correctly.

Tried to re-flash the BIOS via a flashdrive using SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-4302 file. When the blue BIOS button is pressed, it flashes momentarily and then remains solid blue, so it doesn't seem like this is working either.

Just won't start the POST routine.

Please help as I'm at a complete loss.

phase44

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Thank you for your offer of help.

I have done exactly what you suggested and have just now tried again. I downloaded the file SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-4302 and renamed it "SABERX79". When I put the flash drive in the PC and press the blue button, the button flashes and I then let go. The button then remains a constant blue and doesn't flash any more. From reading about this, it should keep flashing until it finishes the installation. It will stay a solid blue for hours, so I think something is wrong with this.

Any thoughts? Or am I doing something wrong?

phase44

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I tried another flashdrive. I reformatted it to FAT32. Renamed the file from SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-4302 to SABERX79.CAP, made sure the PSU power is on, put in the flashdrive, press the BIOS switch for a few seconds, the flash-drive light flashed for a second indicating its being read and the BIOS switched flashed for a couple of seconds and then stayed solid blue.

From watching a video of how to do this on YouTube, I think the BIOS switch light should be flashing for at least 2-3 until its finished.

Mine seems like its stuck:-(

p0tsie

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hey, so I know this is going to sound crazy, but I literally just went through your identical predicament trying to install the exact same hardware!

Here's how I FIXED it.

I had a pc that was perfectly installed, plugged it in, turned it on, it powers up but nothing, no video, so beeps, no blinking lights, nothing to indicate what was wrong. Tried updating bios, no deal, just got a solid blue light, it wouldn't update. Here's what to do:

Go to the Asus website to their drivers section. Download a fresh copy of the latest bios, do not rename it. Go to the bios tools section there is a bios name change app or something like that. Download it and let it rename your file for the bios. Load this newly renamed file onto a fat32 mem stick, and then just try updating the bios like you did before.

phase44

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hi p0tsie

I went to the Asus download site and downloaded the latest driver for my BIOS/OS. My BIOS version is 2014 so I downloaded the latest BIOS called SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-4404. I then downloaded the conversion tool as you suggested and it renamed the CAP file to 'SABERX79'. I then installed it on to the flash drive which I had previously reformatted to FAT32 (the drive definitely works) and then put it in the USB port with the TX PSU powered on. I pressed the blue button and it started to flash and the light on the USB stick started flashing (indicating that its being read) and then after couple of seconds the blue light just stays a solid blue. It's still a solid blue after 20 minutes:-( So it seems that for some reason its not accepting the BIOS update.

Willfred Hoafat

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I have similar problem on P9X79 MB. Post on other thread suggests that the memory stick may be the culprit and that large 8GB or greater should be avoided. I had an older 54 MB that I put through several iterations all ending up with the same 3 to 5 flashes that locked solid blue. I eventually tried an 8GB flash dtick and managed to get the cap conversion to go through a full cycle. Next, I ran the renaming utility mentioned above on BIOS version 4404 for my MB. The BIOS was updated successfully by completing the flashbac routine. Unfortunately, my new creation is still refusing to do a post. That where I am this morning.

phase44

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I finally got my PC working yesterday. After installing a new motherboard (the second new one) it still failed to POST. Feeling so disappointed I sat on the net and read articles and watched troubleshooting videos on YouTube and one of the videos explained how the start switch could be faulty and should be tested. So I unplugged the two witch wires from the mother board and touched the two pins with a screwdriver and hey presto it so rang into life! So my problem was cured after all with a new switch. Wish I new this sooner as I would have saved two weeks of agonizing and fitting a new motherboard. My new PC is running as sweet as a nut now and I'm delighted. I hope this may help you or someone else.

I would like it thank everyone on this site for their offers of help.