[SOLVED] Asus Sabertooth X79

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
I recently bought an older PC with an I7 3970k on an Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo. This motherboard has a memory check button which I’ve never seen on a motherboard before. No matter what ram I try or what configuration I can’t get this to post without hitting the memOK button. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thank you?

Solution
So I may of figured it out, I set the ram to it’s stated specs of 1866 and set XMP on (never had any luck with that before) and it boots! Got windows 10 installed! I’ll repost to this if I run into anymore issue. Thank you!
You should understand what the Memok button does.
It's used to bring Bios settings back to default when hardware such as RAM have been made.
You power the system down then depress the Memok button to start the system.
No guarantee however, post will attempt correct Bios settings to enable a boot.
You then go into Bios to save and exit and your system should be OK.

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
You should understand what the Memok button does.
It's used to bring Bios settings back to default when hardware such as RAM have been made.
You power the system down then depress the Memok button to start the system.
No guarantee however, post will attempt correct Bios settings to enable a boot.
You then go into Bios to save and exit and your system should be OK.

I see, I will have to give this a chance when I get home tonight. If for some reason this does not work what else might you recommend?

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
You should list your system specs for better advice and try to describe your issues.

Okay so I tried to save the setting with no luck as of yet. System specs are as follows.

I7 3930k (Stock speeds with AIO cooler)
Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard
24 GBs of 1866 visiontek ram ( currently only using one 4GB stick for testing)
Have a 9800GTX+ in here which has been verified in another machine as functional
No SSD hooked up at the moment
Newer 700watt psu

As stated I can get it to post just fine with any ram configuration I’ve tried. I have even tried a brand new set of ram with the same results. I can’t imagine how I could be saving the current bios settings wrong? The cmos battery has kept the correct date so I am assuming it’s not losing any settings. The machine seems to run great until it needs a restart. I have noticed it’s run the ram at the base 1333 speeds. I appreciate any and all feed back!

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
So I may of figured it out, I set the ram to it’s stated specs of 1866 and set XMP on (never had any luck with that before) and it boots! Got windows 10 installed! I’ll repost to this if I run into anymore issue. Thank you!

Solution
Glad you have it sorted DAG93 and hopefully with all modules installed.
FYI: In case you encounter issues and need to adjust Timings in Bios here are your Primary Timings at CL10
Timings: 10-10-10-24-2T
Should the system not retain Bios settings when shut down then I suggest you replace the Motherboard battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG93

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Glad you have it sorted DAG93 and hopefully with all modules installed.
FYI: In case you encounter issues and need to adjust Timings in Bios here are your Primary Timings at CL10
Timings: 10-10-10-24-2T
Should the system not retain Bios settings when shut down then I suggest you replace the Motherboard battery.

Thanks! Will do!