ASUS Sabertooth z77 - One PCI-e slot not recognizing video card, RMA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jacksonmills

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
So I'm starting a new build for myself, giving my older ASUS Premium P6X58D to my girlfriend.

This is the setup:

GSkill Ripjaws, 1600 8gb x4
ASUS Sabertooth z77
Intel 3770k
Zalman S9500A CPU Cooler
Cooler Master HAF Tower
XFX Radeon 6950 x 2 , 2GB
Rosewill Lightning 1300W
Samsung Pro 840 SSD, 256GB

The system boots just fine, but will only recognize 16GB of RAM. I've tried each individual RAM slot and booting with all the sticks I have and each one will boot individually. One thing I have noticed is that whenever I change the # of RAM sticks, the Clock speed on the RAM changes ( not sure if this is relevant ).

What worries me more - because honestly I might be able to live with 16GB of RAM - is that my two Graphics cards do not work in Crossfire. In fact, my second PCI-e Express port, when I install a 6950 in it, doesn't seem to work at all.

I'm wondering if this is time to RMA, or if there is anything else I can do to bring this thing back. I'm fairly inexperienced as far as builds go ( this is only my second ) , so I'm curious as to if there's anything I can do to "shock" it back to life.

Solution

The solution to the problem was to RMA the board. They first tried to repair the board, but then replaced it with an entirely new one after the first repair failed. ASUS was very friendly through all of this though, and I eventually got a new board that worked great.

jacksonmills

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

The solution to the problem was to RMA the board. They first tried to repair the board, but then replaced it with an entirely new one after the first repair failed. ASUS was very friendly through all of this though, and I eventually got a new board that worked great.

Solution

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I really don't think it is the fault of the motherboard, the first pci-e slot is the primary video out and the second video card would be for the second video out. Having both video cards but only utilizing the second vide card as your primary out will result in a blank display unless your bios supports PEG2 option and you'd only be able to select that option by having PEG1 occupied in the first place.

The big Question is whether the replacement actually did what you originally intended by only utilizing the second vidoe card as your primary port even though you have a video card in slot one, with no video cable.... of course, I might be totally confused myself about how you initally sli-ed them and what your intentions were by having the second display rather than the first, or perhaps you are meaning the second display of the second display card was not working, to which you would then need to refer to the Nvidia control panel... perhaps...

Kriss Mennell

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Can anybody help me!

My rig is:

i5 2550k
Sabertooth z77
Intel Patriot 8gb Ram
560ti ( TRYING TO SLI A SECOND CARD BUT WILL NOT WORK! )
2x Corsair force GT 120gb SSD's
Corsair CX750M Power supply

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/130609185020.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/130609185033.png/

I am trying to set up an SLI with 2 560ti's in my rig. The sabertooth Z77 motherboard does not seem to detect anything in the second pcie slot? i have tried switching cards, reinstalling drivers and software.. I have updated to the latest bios settings and chipset! Nothing shows up in the device manager just the 1st 560ti! Nothing shows up in the nvidea control panel either!

The power supply is brand new yesterday and both of the cards are fully working and they are currently attached with an SLI Bridge. One of the cards is the MSI Twin Frozer edition.

I have tried everthing any suggestions or advice would be great! Thankyou

Daniel Wellstood

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

This problem seems to be quite common.. I purchased a new setup yesterday and i'm having the same issue with sli setup and my 2nd PCI-e slot not recognizing my second GTX 680.

could it be the motherboards if it's this common?

Fourtoes

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I'm also having the same issue. I just bought this motherboard today with an i7-3770k chip. Using BIOS version 1805 I cannot get SLI to work with my 560ti s. The second PCIE slot cannot be detected. Does anyone know if upgrading to a new BIOS will fix this issue or do I have to RMA the board?

npires

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
I have the same exact issue, Sabertooth Z77 + i7-3770k + 2x HD6770 and the second one is not working with BIOS reporting "not present". I have the latest BIOS "2003" and still no joy, also I have swapped the cards and both work on PCIe slot 1. This is most frustrating if I have to disassemble everything to RMA the motherboard. My HD6770's don't do crossfire (ASUS DirectCU Silent) but I think that's ok, right? And I have the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W so plenty of power available, I just need to have all 4 monitors over discreet graphics.

Did anyone solve this issue or is anyone here able to address the questions above?

Many thanks.

Charlomagne

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hi m8s I'm on SABERTOOTH X79 with only 1 Video Card and 2 Audio PCIe cards. Only 1 PCIe is detected by system. The third slot PCIe. The second slot is plugged but windows don't detect. Any help will be welcome!

Regards

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Swap the cards around to work out if its the card that's bad or the slot. Try other slot combinations too. Also check the CPU socket for any bent pins - any pins bent for PCIe will cause problems obviously.

hedeon

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Hi.

I would like to join this thread as it is most useful of the ones I have so far read in last few hours.
I have very similar issue with my Asus Sabertooth z77.
Till this point I was running 2x Radeon HD 5870 on this motherboard, and recently I have upgraded to 2x R9 280x. My issue is, nor BIOS (UEFI) nor Windows detects card in second PCIe slot. It is spinning fans, so looks like it gets some power. I have swapped cards around and and both of them work fine in first slot. Also, both are fine in third slot. I is PCIEX16_2 slot witch is a problem. And now there is a part were this problem gets bit different from most of the ones I have read about. If I will put old HD 5870 cards back, PCIEX16_2 is detected just fine, also in windows. Since hd5870's are PCIe 2.0 cards, and 280x's are PCIe 3.0 I suspect it can have something to do with it.

Now, what I have tried so far:
reinstalling drivers, reinstalling Windows, updating and re-flashing several times BIOS, Cleared CMOS several times (in G3 mode), swapping cards around, swapping power connectors, powering from different PSU lanes, checked pins in socked (look fine), checked for bent pins anywhere on the motherboard (none found).

My sys spec:
intel i7 3770k (stock), 16GB RAM, ASUS Sabertooth z77, PSU Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W, 2x R9 280x (also 2x HD 5870)

Can some one help me with this as I have ran out of ideas. Reading that it can take even 8 weeks to process RMA is really terrifying. I need this PC not only for gaming, but I work on it too...

hedeon

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

I have tried all Gen settings (AUTO, GEN1, GEN2, GEN3) none of them had any effect.
How do I update UEFI? Always thought UEFI gets updated as BIOS update. I will check this one.

hedeon

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

I thought so... I have done it already. Updated it, and re-flashed it several times (same BIOS update file) by different methods (from windows, in UEFI from USB) just in case one of them will force BIOS to detect the card. Didn't work...

velaso

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Hello guys , i have the same problem.

I have this MB in z87 plataform and i cant conect my 780 sli ;(

When i try to conect any card in the second pci 3.0 slot , my windows dont detect it.... and all my build is new...

I think is a bios problem but.. i cant solved...

Someone have the solution?

npires

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

I just noticed your card specs mention a draw of 500W and since you have 2 that will be 1000W and you have a 850W PSU, that wont do it, however, I don't think the R9's draw that much power, but check this new lead out.

eox08

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I'm having the same issue with 3 different mobo's. This z77 sabertooth, an asrock z68 fatl1ty (already had it RMA'd) and a gigabyte z68. I've flashed all 3 mobo's. I've upgraded everything except my CPU. My GPU (evga 780 ti) will not work in any slot other than the 4x slot however, it works flawlessly on my old nforce 790i mobo. My old 550ti will work in the primary 16x slot though on all 3 boards. I am utterly confused and baffled as to what is going on. I hope someone has some sort of information about this issue. I've just purchased a i7 3770k to see if it is in fact my current i7 2600k causing the issue. Has anyone ever had this problem and had it fixed?

moket

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Apologies for digging up such an old thread, however I believe I have found a solution to this problem... Firstly I should say THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE. I have experienced the same thing as many in this thread - dead PCIe_x2 slot, and no SLI, both graphics cards work in the first slot, but none in the second, nothing detected in device manager. Also only half the RAM slots working. On top of this, I have experience a couple other problems - overclocking settings missing from BIOS - no turbo multiplier - also integrated graphics option missing from BIOS.

My specs:

Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo
Intel i5 2500k
8 GB 1600hz Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 RAM
Corsair HX 750 PSU
2 x Nvidia 660ti GPU SLI

After some further research into the issues relating to things missing from BIOS, I found out the issues was to do with a corrupt BIOS flash. Many people with ASUS boards have reported experiencing the same problems RE overclocking settings missing from BIOS after BIOS update with downgrading BIOS having no effect.

The solution: Reflash bios using AMI bios flasher

This software can be downloaded here: https://ami.com/en/download-license-agreement/?DownloadFile=Aptio_4_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip

You need to unzip the file and run the AFUWINGUI program. Check the option "Program All Block". MAKE SURE ALL OTHER PROGRAMS THAT ARE RUNNING ARE CLOSED - this is important as you dont want any programs interfering with the process. Make sure you have a copy of the latest BIOS version downloaded from the ASUS website and open it in the utility. Hit Flash and wait for it to do its thing (DONT TOUCH ANYTHING DURING THIS PROCESS). Once its finished, shut down your computer. Wait a minute or so then power on your PC. It should power on for a split second then immediately shut down again. Power it on again and let it boot to windows (DO NOT BOOT TO BIOS).

And voila. Everything should now be back to normal. Go to device manager and you should see your second GPU is now being detected. Enjoy having your SLI and overclock settings back. No need to RMA your board or get a new one.

I know this is about 6 years late but to anyone still experiencing these issues in 2019, I hope this helps and brings new life to your old (but still perfectly good and powerful) hardware.