Asus Sabertooth Z77: Realtek HD Audio Microphone Jacks (Front and Rear) Not Working

synteurs

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
I just put together a new machine and I've gotten just about everything set up and working great. However, despite my best efforts - my front and rear microphone jacks are simply not picking up any audio. I'm using a traditional headset with a pink mic jack and orange headphone jack. I've tested the headset on my old machine, and it's working fine. Now, I've always had my annoyances with audio-jack mics - but I've always gotten them to work. Not this time.
I've tried using the latest Realtek HD Audio drivers, I've tried the drivers from the motherboard CD, and tried without either installed. The output jacks seem to work fine and the Realtek Audio Manager detects when I plug in or unplug the mic (in both front and rear) but still, nothing. I can turn up the mic boost and turn on listen mode - and I get nothing but random electronic noise.

Here's the build:

• Core i7-3770 K
    Asus Sabertooth Z77
    2xGTX 680s
    Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866 MHz
    512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    Corsair AX850 PSU

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate. I know I can use a soundcard instead of onboard audio, or even a USB headset - but I'd rather not. I'd also like to know that the motherboard I just paid for is working properly!
What can I do?

mikeabite

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
i am having the same problem!!! exactly the same as snyteurs......... mic jacks front and back not recording sound but they are recognized by computer. i have checked all drivers and i know the microphone works as i have used it on other computers. this makes me; sadddd.
HAS anyone found a fix to this?? please advise
I am in the midst of contacting asus reguarding this mic problem.

windows 8 64 pro
sabertooth z77
i7 3770k
evga titan
corsair vengence 16 gb ddr3
250GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Corsair HX1050 PSU

synteurs

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
I got it to work. All it took was going into my Device Manager, and roll back my drivers - and DIDN'T update them. I don't have the Realtek HD Audio Panel anymore, but I'm pretty much okay with that.

mikeabite

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
In order to do this:
1: i downloaded the file by means of the link below.
2: Then i opened it up and navigated to the folder named "DRIVER" then the "setup" (application file.)
3: After a restart:-windows is now in charge of the plug and play functionality.

cons: I don't have the fancy realtek (more graphical) plug and play interface i once did. but like synteurs said its not terribly important.
pros: my mics are working!
I will complain to asus about this... see if they will fix it.

This is what asus sent me:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Carter and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For this problem, please firstly have a check if the HD audio controller is enabled under the Onboard Devices Configuration in the bios.
Please also download and install the lastest version of the audio driver for this board for a try:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=39&m=SABERTOOTH%20Z77&os=30&ft=4&f_name=Realtek_Audio_V51006699_6016699_XPWin7_8.zip#Realtek_Audio_V51006699_6016699_XPWin7_8.zip
If still, please clear cmos referring to the manual for a try.
Also if possible, please connect other speakers to the board for a further test.
If still no audio, the onboard audio card seems to meet the problem, in this situation, you will need to contact our RMA department for assistance.

Please submit the RMA request on the following website, then the RMA department will follow up the case for you.

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx

Please include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and the serial number of your product.

Welcome to refer Asus support website: http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

timelord84

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

I know what the problem is. Go into your Recording Device when you right-click the volume icon and double-click the Mic. Then go to levels and put to to 100%, I put my Boost to +20Db as well.

Solved.