Asus Sabertooth Z87 vs Asus GRYPHON Z87?

Torkilon

Honorable
Aug 4, 2014
Which of these do you guys think I should get? They are basically the same board with some minor differences... GRYPHON comes without "armor" but since most motherboars do too I think it's not important.

What's important is that GRYPHON is 65€ cheaper where I want to buy. I chose these two because of the 5 year warranty. I'm having trouble with my PC and I suspect the motherboard died so I'm looking for a replacement.

What's the usual price range for a good gaming motherboard?

P.S. It's extremely hard to find a new LGA 1150 MB nowadays :(

The difference is the Sabertooth is the ATX version and the Gryphon is the mATX. I've used a previous Sabertooth and that Gryphon. They're nice boards, lots of fan headers though probably overpriced for what is really there. The armor is more or less pointless.

Really it comes down to the couple of perks the Sabertooth gives you and if you need them. If you need more PCie 1x slots, more SATA ports, a Displayport instead of DVI on your integrated graphics, or a better audio solution then pick up the Sabertooth. Otherwise I'd go with the Gryphon and save yourself some money.

Torkilon

Honorable
Aug 4, 2014

I always thought that mATX are for smaller cases but it's probably a matter of having more PCI slots vs having less am I right?

Torkilon

Honorable
Aug 4, 2014

I'm not going to use those extra PCIe slots and SATA ports. I'm using DVI with my video card and having integrated audio is pointless when using wireless headset.

I used to have that mindset that more expensive is better but it really comes down to what you'll need and use...

They are but only slightly smaller are mATX crams in the same number of RAM and full sized PCI slots as an ATX board. ITX boards are the ones for actually small builds.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131976
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131977

Yep, if you're not gonna use it, then why bother spending on it? Since the core features are the same between the two, I see no reason to throw more cash at an old platform if you can avoid it. Go for the Gryphon and put that cash aside for something useful. Like a nice lunch or something.