Thecookieking95

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
Hello everyone!

About a week ago, I bought the Asus Scar 3 G531GU notebook and right out of the box, I noticed the touchpad misbehaving. Let me explain the issue in depth.

When using the touchpad continuously (with the acceleration disabled in windows), it randomly gets laggy/sluggish and losses precision for an undetermined amount of time, then it recovers and starts behaving normally. The gestures work fine and the pointer doesn't jump around. It feels like extra acceleration is being added. This issue happens in both windows and bios and it doesn't last for too long, but after some time, it repeats.

This is what I've done:
  • installed both versions of drivers for the touchpad listed on scar 3's support page
  • reset windows twice
  • disabled gestures in windows settings and used the touchpad without them
  • disabled the touchpad (both via windows and keyboard shortcut) when the issue started happening and enabled it right after, without any positive results
  • pressed lightly around the casing of the toucphad when the issue started happening
  • used the touchpad in bios just to check if this issue would happen even in the bios, and it did
I have read about such issues happening on Lenovo notebooks and being quite frequent, but haven't heard about any Asus laptops.

This issue isn't really something that bothers me to the extent of returning the laptop, since I only use the touchpad lightly when not gaming, but when using it, the experience of an otherwise really nice machine, gets kind of ruined. Personally, I believe it's either bios or hardware related, and not driver or windows related (since it happens in the bios as well), but maybe someone out there knows something extra.

I hope it is not defective and there is a solution, even if it is waiting for a new bios update.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Resetting the OS doesn't do much, actually. Speaking of OS, which version are you on? We're currently on 1909. you might want to try and uninstall the touchpad drivers and reinstall them using an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Also, I'm assuming you're on BIOS version 306 for your laptop?

Lutfij

Titan
Resetting the OS doesn't do much, actually. Speaking of OS, which version are you on? We're currently on 1909. you might want to try and uninstall the touchpad drivers and reinstall them using an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Also, I'm assuming you're on BIOS version 306 for your laptop?

Solution

Thecookieking95

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
I'm running Windows 10 pro, 64 bit, version 1909. Regarding the BIOS, it is indeed version 306. Is it safe to roll back to the previous version of the bios (304) and check if the issue is still there?

I also did the run as administrator driver install, since that's the only way I do these things.