[SOLVED] Asus secure erase for Samsung 870 QVO SSD

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hello, short question: is it a safe bet to use the Asus Secure Erase feature I have in my BIOS for a Samsung 870 QVO SSD drive? I'm trying to basically reset the drive to factory default.

I have tried the Samsung Magician software to make a bootable USB drive and use their secure erase solution, but I cannot get the damn thing to boot from my BIOS (I have tried just about everything.) So I find myself looking at my BIOS's "built-in" secure erase feature as my only solution. Asus says some SSDs are incompatible and to look online for a list first - yet I cannot find said list anywhere.

My motherboard is a Asus Prime Z390-A if that helps. I also updated said motherboard to latest BIOS version - so I'm thinking the secure erase tool should be able to handle the new-ish 870 QVO without breaking anything... right?

So what do you think? Will Asus secure erase work here? How big of a risk am I taking by trying it?

Solution
So during Windows 10 install, I can delete all partitions (including system reserved) for my current Windows install? Nothing from the current system will carry over then? I can also delete both drives during install? (Not just drive with the OS.)
Absolutely.

However, after you clean off both drives, stop the install process.
Power off, disconnect the second drive, and then restart the OS install with only one physical drive connected.

The beginning talks about why have only one drive, and Section II speaks to deleting all those preexisting partitions.

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Absolutely not needed.
During the install process, delete all partitions and continue on.
Nothing will be left over.

As far as the motherboard erase? I wouldn't.

So during Windows 10 install, I can delete all partitions (including system reserved) for my current Windows install? Nothing from the current system will carry over then? I can also delete both drives during install? (Not just drive with the OS.)

As a follow-up question: can I just boot into Windows 10 install on current board - wipe the drives during the install process then abort the install , thus leaving the drives "empty" for the new motherboard?

USAFRet

Titan
Absolutely.

Power off, disconnect the second drive, and then restart the OS install with only one physical drive connected.

The beginning talks about why have only one drive, and Section II speaks to deleting all those preexisting partitions.

Solution

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Absolutely.

Ok, 1st off I just want to say thank you for the info - you have helped me out a lot. I think secure erase was probably overkill on my part.

2nd (and last) question: can I just boot into Windows 10 install on my current motherboard - wipe the drives during the install process then abort the install, thus leaving the drives "empty" for the new motherboard? That way I won't even have to connect the 2nd drive when I move everything over to the new motherboard and install the OS right?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, 1st off I just want to say thank you for the info - you have helped me out a lot. I think secure erase was probably overkill on my part.

2nd (and last) question: can I just boot into Windows 10 install on my current motherboard - wipe the drives during the install process then abort the install, thus leaving the drives "empty" for the new motherboard? That way I won't even have to connect the 2nd drive when I move everything over to the new motherboard and install the OS right?
Either way.

Also, for the Windows license
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

Reactions: HWright001