Asus Smartwatch Will Be "Feature Packed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Agreed. This SmartWatch thing is just a fad. It'll go away, eventually, just like tablets. IMO, a combination of the SmartPhone, PC and cloud technology will prevail. That is, PCs will soon be sold as barebones with docking ports or some form of wireless technology to facilitate connection (either 802.11 or Bluetooth).

xkm1948

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Did they manage to get a 3000mAh battery in that watch? It is nice to have so many features. But it will suck if I have to plug it in to recharge every 4 hrs.

"There are actually many challenges in this area, and I don't think products that lack special features will be useful. We'll try to replace your watch by all means,"

if you want to replace my watch then the first challenge is to make the battery last several years before you think about adding more features to it. the idea i have to charge my watch everyday or after several day of use is dumb.

randomizer

Champion
I don't need a feature packed device on my wrist. Packing thousands of half-baked, gimmicky features just to boost application numbers should be left to smartphone manufacturers. They're already leaders in this area. Try something truly innovative, like a watch that tells you the time whenever you look at it, for as long as you look at it, and only when you look at it.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I laugh at people who buy these types of devices simply because they can. Stop-watches and other sports-related JUSTIFIABLE uses aside, there is no way that I will be caught dead wearing something that needs to be charged often. I already hate that my current watch's battery doesn't last for years and years. We have smartphones for everything else.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
My Citizen Eco-Drive (Solar) watch will last at least 6months without light (other models will go up to 7yr's off memory), and suppose to have 80% max capacity in 20years. There are also far cheaper watches with 10yr batteries.Mind telling me why I want a watch that doesn't have enough battery life to tell me the time of day? Last I checked that was the primary purpose of a watch.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
"Feature-packed, battery life-lacking."I finally discovered someone I work with has a samsung smartwatch. I don't know anyone else who has a smartwatch or otherwise cares about them. Doesn't seem like the guy does anything useful with it other than check the time.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"That is, PCs will soon be sold as barebones with docking ports or some form of wireless technology to facilitate connection (either 802.11 or Bluetooth)."Couldn't agree with you more.I can see a day where PCs are illegal, and buying PC components is criminalized.Just give people govt. included malware "shells" or thin clients, and hook up to "our" services, to access all of your online needs. We're pretty much there, except you can still build your own PC. (for now).

wasn't the return rate for "Gear" smart watch like 33%. No one wants a useless "gadget" that you have to charge every day. If they made something that runs off solar and body heat with never have to charge feature then it's worth getting. It's not like we don't have enough smart phones and tablets. A tablet now a days cost $100 while the retard watch cost $300. Plus the marketing for the watch sucks.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
If anyone can make a compelling "smartwatch" it is ASUS. They have the raw manpower, funding, resources and time to knock out a killer smartwatch. Just look at how wildly successful and of high quality their Xonar Essence line is, even audiophiles can't believe the value in them.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
It would have been nice to at least list a few possible features. The title said "Feature Packed" but really didn't say much about what they intend to do other than make it stand out from the crowd...

compote

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Simple. Don't make a watch rely on a smartphone (independent) and come up with a better look (not the dull typical another watch one) than sony's and samsung's. And only then they can score.

fkr

Splendid
feature packed for me would be notifications, all body monitoring possible, small form factor, battery life (give it a quick sleep mode).I would buy that for $100

Status
Not open for further replies.