Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Hi there,

I have an Striker Extreme II.

Here is what else I have:
Win XP SP3 Pro / Vista x64
2x 2GB OCZ EB 1600Mhz DDR3
2x eVGA 8800 Ultra Superclocked

In my opinion this board I have is absolutely rubbish. I have spent more than 50 hours trying to troubleshoot and get it working like it should!!!

Maybe I'm just unlucky?

Here is a list of the problems:
> Often takes TWO or THREE attempts to get past POST when turning on the PC or resetting (stock settings)
> I have installed Windows XP SP3 Pro FOUR times and Vista X64 THREE times due to corruption problems (both on stock and overclocked settings).

I have tried multiple BIOS's both official and unofficial (0402, 0603, 0701, 0702, 0703, 0901 etc.) and it makes no difference.

All software is up to date (drivers, games, windows etc. etc.).

I have tested the RAM with Memtest 86+ and it has completed multiple cycles with no issues.
I have tested both of my graphics cards on another PC (ran 3DMark 2006 for more than 1 hour on loop - repeat each test 5x times) and they are fine.
Max temp of cards is 86ºC.
Max temp of CPU is 55ºC.

I cannot play games (Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, etc.) for more than 30 minutes without the graphics becoming scrambled. Only way back is a reset (and often several to get past POST).

Playing in SLI seems to make it worse.
I get the same results whether I o/c or not.

This is driving me NUTS!

I'm thinking of RMA'ing the board. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Mark

chemicallymark

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006

Thank you.

I didn't really think about that. I have 3x brand new WD drives (RE2 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD5001ABYS)).

I downloaded and tried ACTIVESmart and Diskcheckup and both say the drives are "healthy".

I ran chkdsk from cmd prompt. It can only run in "read only" mode from windows but it came up with the following messages:
"Deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 25.
Repairing an index entry in index $0 of file 25.
Missing object id index entry or duplicate object id detected for file record segment 59337.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read only mode."

So I ran CHKDSK /F /R and then rebooted. It checked the HDD but did not pick up any errors...

When I ran CHKDSK via cmd I got a similar message which only said "Deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 25." and then ''Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read only mode."

I have not tried gaming again. I'm not sure if anything has really changed at the moment?

Any ideas on HDD diagnostics programs?

draw7676

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Usually chkdsk does the trick for me

When CHKDSK runs ar startup, it will also attempt to correct the errors it sees in the filesystem

So more than likely it corrected the errors

It is good that you checked with activesmart, however, for other wise i would warn of bad hd's

In this case it sounds like you got lucky and just the filesystem got corrupted

Are you running these in a raid array?

chemicallymark

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Nope I'm running in IDE.

I've had enough now. :fou:

Since I posted the last time I've had 2x sessions of XP corruption. On the last one my CMOS had a bad checksum error and then my onboard LAN would not work. i.e. couldn't connect to the inet.

I tested the modem and cables on 2x other PCs and both fine. Re-installed windows / Nforce drivers and...nothing.

I'm RMA'ing the board. And when I get a new one it's going on ebay.

I'm going to buy a cheaper X38 and then wait until the next round of Intel CPUs. Last time I ever buy an Nvidia chipset based board!
Damn you Nvidia. Damn you for making us pay 60% more for a premium board and then using us as beta testers!!!! :fou: :fou:

And I'm going to have to sell one / both of my GeForce 8800 Ultras :cry: to pay for a 280GTX to get the best single card power out there.