ASUS Strix 1060 vs MSI Gaming X 1060 Cooling

Solution
I'm biased here because I own an ASUS Strix GTX 1080, but I love it. The only "downside" if you will is ASUS cards benefit better from using the GPU Tweak overclocking tool more so than say MSI Afterburner. The clocks are more stable and other 3rd party overclocking utilities don't really support the ASUS cards very well. Other than that, the Strix cooler is top notch. It uses the old Direct CUII cooler design and so far the Strix branding typically outperforms just about most of the other 3rd party designs. Not by much, but I would recommend the Strix. Better performance and cooling.

animalosity

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I'm biased here because I own an ASUS Strix GTX 1080, but I love it. The only "downside" if you will is ASUS cards benefit better from using the GPU Tweak overclocking tool more so than say MSI Afterburner. The clocks are more stable and other 3rd party overclocking utilities don't really support the ASUS cards very well. Other than that, the Strix cooler is top notch. It uses the old Direct CUII cooler design and so far the Strix branding typically outperforms just about most of the other 3rd party designs. Not by much, but I would recommend the Strix. Better performance and cooling.

Solution
The Strix 10 series cards have had some QC issues in regards to fan failure and stable clocks out of the box.
Both cards have low temps and feature a fan stop mode, although the MSI is much quieter.
Get whichever is cheaper imo, or whichever you like the look of, entirely aesthetic when it comes down to it.

Apekss

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015

Thank you for your answer. I was thinking to get the Strix from the beginning as well and from what I have seen I think it's the better choice.

One more question.

Can the factory OC gpus be overclocked more?

Yes they can, although the gains may be minimal on the Asus given the already high factory overclock.
I've found that increasing the max voltage limit is enough for 10 series cards, getting my FTW 1080 stable above 2GHz didn't require vcore adjustment at all.
All 10 series cards typically top out around the 2GHz mark though, so all luck of the draw as to how far your card goes, although MSI QC/binning is typically a little better.
If you're overclocking, the Gaming X is what I would go with, if you want the best out of the box experience, the Strix is the way to go.

Apekss

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015

So should I get a stock one if I want to OC it myself more or what?

If you want to OC it yourself, the EVGA FTW is the best card you can get imo.
Get the FTW DT, it is the same as the FTW Gaming, but comes at stock speeds instead.
Features a PCB with 12 power phases, is the card I personally use at the moment, and I absolutely love it.

Apekss

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015

And how much difference in performance will it have if I OC it at 2ghz from the Strix OC version?

Around 5fps at 1440p?
That's what I got at least going from GPU boosting to 1970 (around the Asus) at stock settings to 2070ish MHz.
Not really much difference between them, as I mentioned. :)
GPU Boost 3.0 does a lot of the work, but the extra power phases definitely help to squeeze out performance.