Asus Strix 970 crashing

clcool

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hello, just recieved a new ASUS Strix 970 Yesterday, ever since then the performance has been great but i constantly crash all the time in game then i must reboot, the screen would just turn full grey or any colour and freeze. i downgraded my Drivers now it reboots by it self, i just Ran uniengine Heaven extreme HD for 30 minutes no problems at all so strange and frustrating.

Specs
i5 4690k
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard
8GB Ram

Solution

Hello!

I will do my best to help you with your rather frustrating issue.

Do you know the max watts of your PSU? The first thing that came to my mind, was maybe your PSU was peaking its voltage level. This would cause a crash.

If your PSU is more then capable of powering your...

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014

Hello!

I will do my best to help you with your rather frustrating issue.

Do you know the max watts of your PSU? The first thing that came to my mind, was maybe your PSU was peaking its voltage level. This would cause a crash.

If your PSU is more then capable of powering your system, then it may be a problem with the GPU its self.

I used to have an 8800GT, however signaling the end of its life, it used to crash and freeze on the last image on screen. It happened in games frequently, usually in the menus. It only crashed when playing games, but I didn't test it on benchmarks, it probably would of crashed on those as well. It sounds similar to your issue, apart from mine displayed some colour.

If it looks familiar to what I had, it is likely to be a hardware problem with your GPU. I recommend contacting the manufacturer to see if you can get an RMA or a refund. But make sure you explore the possible solutions first.

Here is the image: http://postimg.org/image/638tu4065/

What I find interesting if that you can run benchmarks fine, it is rather strange as you said.

Hope this helps!

Solution
Yes, it is likely a cheap generic. A decent 500W PSU would be sufficient for your rig (actually a good 450W unit would suffice as well).
I would recommend a model built by Seasonic (their own, XFX, EVGA GS, some Antec) or Super Flower (Kingwin Lazer, OLD Rosewill Capstone, EVGA G2, B2, or even P2).

The Corsair "CX" is not a good PSU, BUT I believe the modular one uses higher quality components than the non-modular one. I've seen mixed comments, and can't confirm it with certainty, but I would not get the non-modular one in any case.

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
I would recommend a 650W CoolerMaster V Series PSU. That's the one I'm currently using.

Try and get a new PSU as soon as possible, because a poor quality PSU can damage components in an event of a power surge.

You don't want to go cheap on a PSU, an good quality one will be a good buy.

Any of the following brands will do you fine, but I would NOT recommend anything below 550W for your current setup.
-Corsair (NOT CX NON-MODULAR Series)
-Sesonic
-Antec
-Enermax
-XFX.

The Coolermaster V-series is indeed made by Seasonic, however so many of Coolermaster's other PSUs are liar-labeled near-junk that I cannot in good conscience recommend any product of that company. Your call; it may depend on what is available to you.
Considering the actual, measured power usage reported with an overclocked GTX970 in this quarter's SBM cycle, conceivably a good 400W PSU would be enough, although you might feel more comfortable with 500W-550W. In the very near future, I will likely be using a Super Flower built 450W Rosewill Capstone to run my Minion rig (similar stats to yours) once I've moved it into a smaller case.