Asus Strix r9 380 fans not spinning

RoyalSpork

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Hi all. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my PC. Mind you I am still sort of new to all this.

I put in an M5A97 Asus Mobo, an AMD Fx-8350, and the Asus Strix r9 380. Once I had everything installed, I switched on the power supply (850w OCZ tech), and all the fans on my case and cpu were working. I let Windows start loading files in order to reinstall my OS and left the room for about an hour.

I came back and looked inside my case to see how the airflow was and noticed that my GPU was hot and that the fans were not going. I quickly turned it off and let it cool down over night.

This morning I turned on my computer again, and everything worked fine except the GPU's fans. I put in my old 6850 and the fan on that worked just fine.

Have I done something wrong or am I going to have to go through the trouble of an RMA?
Any help is much appreciated

RoyalSpork

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

So would it be safe for me to go through the OS installation process even though the GPU became hot to the touch while it was going last night?

You shouldn't touch the gpu whilst it is running. And you didn't mention where you touch it.
You may feel it is hot but the gpu can handle higher temps.

RoyalSpork

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

I touched it after I powered down the system. I put my finger on the back of the card and the heat pipe. I'll put the card back in and go through the OS install process then.

Heriophant

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I have a R9 390x and my fans don't spin till >50c and the card is playings game and even then they move slowly at about 700 RPM about 20% speed at 55c its not till it gets to 65c do I hear any fan noise, If you are worried they not working install fan speed program and set fan speed to 100% then you will know if they working or not.

UnknownAdmin

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

I had the same problem two weeks ago:
- STRIX 380 fans rotate while booting
- fans stop as catalyst was started.
- GPU-Z render test lead to 85°C

Solution: installed ASUS GPU Tweak II (on DVD or website) and found a button "0DB".
Setting this button to "OFF" started the fans, now they rotate and temperature doesn't get as high.

It seems, the card remembers the setting - after dual-booting another windows without GPU Tweak II, the fans rotate either.