[SOLVED] Asus Strix x470 cpu red light

Luscion

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
Hey folks so I was using my computer when all of a sudden it shut down, a fan that I had plugged into the same surge protector shut off as well and when I turned the pc back on it wouldn’t post, orange light at initial boot on the mobo then It switches to the red cpu light, everything on the mobo seems to work, it’s lighting up, gpu is lighting and fans are spinning, same with CPU cooler fans and case fans. Is it just a case of resetting the bios? And if so how do I go about it while no being able to boot

CPU- Ryzen 2600
GPU - Zotac gtx 1070
Mobo - Asus rog strix x470 f gaming
Ram - Adata XPG Z1 ddr4 16GB 3000mhz
Ssd - HP EX920 nvme
HDD - western digital black 1TB/ seagate 2TB
PSU - Thermaltake TR2 700w
Operating system - Windows 10
Chassis - NZXT 500i

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so it have have been a gpu issue? I managed to get it to start, logged in, everything seemed to be working but then I decided to load up rdr2, a couple mins into the game my whole system would freeze but I would still hear music I had running on Spotify. Restarted my pc multiple times and tried to run the game, same issue every time, it would freeze after a couple mins playing, decided to load up Unigine heaven to do some stress test with the benchmark on extreme preset to rule out that it was that game specifically causing the issue ( I stress tested the CPU with OCCT for 15mins and everything was fine) and yup, whole system froze seconds in every time. Took the gpu out, moved it into another slot on the mobo, did a fresh...

Lutfij

Titan
You should ideally list your specs to your system, when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Now, is the fan, more like a fan for airflow in your room or to aid the system?

Fkort96

Great
Nov 17, 2019
A hard shutdown at a random moment seems something serious, usually a video card or PSU. Does your motherboard has integrated graphics? If yes can you boot it without a video card?
If no, do u have another video card at hand that you can use to test it?

Luscion

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
You should ideally list your specs to your system, when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Now, is the fan, more like a fan for airflow in your room or to aid the system?
Ok updated system info and yes it’s a fan to cool the room

Luscion

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
A hard shutdown at a random moment seems something serious, usually a video card or PSU. Does your motherboard has integrated graphics? If yes can you boot it without a video card?
If no, do u have another video card at hand that you can use to test it?
Ryzen 2600 nor the strix have integrated so sadly no and the other gpu is I had (1060) I sold to a friend awhile ago

Luscion

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
Ok so it have have been a gpu issue? I managed to get it to start, logged in, everything seemed to be working but then I decided to load up rdr2, a couple mins into the game my whole system would freeze but I would still hear music I had running on Spotify. Restarted my pc multiple times and tried to run the game, same issue every time, it would freeze after a couple mins playing, decided to load up Unigine heaven to do some stress test with the benchmark on extreme preset to rule out that it was that game specifically causing the issue ( I stress tested the CPU with OCCT for 15mins and everything was fine) and yup, whole system froze seconds in every time. Took the gpu out, moved it into another slot on the mobo, did a fresh install of the drivers and ran the heaven benchmark again multiple times and no freezing whatsoever and system starts fine now

Solution