Asus Strix Z270E motherboard - led lights

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
I understand this motherboard comes with led lights which can be customised. I'm going for the black and white theme for my first build and wanted to know whether all the led lights can be set to white only using the motherboard utility software? I'm not so big on multi colours (rgb)

Does anyone own this motherboard? I'm seeing some reviews online concerning ram being stuck on 2133mhz, have you faced this problem? Does the stock wifi antenna work well?

Solution
i have it

the onboard leds are very minimal indeed only 5 or something at the rear io shield

setting them all to white doesnt give any great effect

and not even a very good/pure white to be honest

my rams at 3000mhz no problem

yes the little antenna actually works very well

if you want good led from this board really you need to add a strip to the aura headers other than that its a very good board
i have it

the onboard leds are very minimal indeed only 5 or something at the rear io shield

setting them all to white doesnt give any great effect

and not even a very good/pure white to be honest

my rams at 3000mhz no problem

yes the little antenna actually works very well

if you want good led from this board really you need to add a strip to the aura headers other than that its a very good board

Solution

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Thanks

I am planning on picking up the S340 Elite white case with 2 NZXT RGB fans (replacing the back and top stock exhaust fans). Also RGB led strips running along the bottom and top of the case. What I don’t know is whether I can achieve this using the 2 rgb headers on the motherboard (Asus Z270E)?

It would be a massive help if you guys could point me in the right direction to get this all to work. I would also appreciate if you could list exactly what is needed, like the cables, connecters, type of led strips, etc.

Attached a link to give some idea as to what I’m trying to achieve (LOVE IT!!! MASSIVE PROPS TO THE BUILDER!! though hes using hue+)
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/chq48d

i am using the phanteks enthoo luxe white--no tempered glass in white version unfortunately

and a 2m phanteks led strip with the phanteks aura adapter to plug it to the motherboard led connector

have to say the phanteks led strips are some of the best i have seen

magnetic

very very good colours

very bright

have the thickest silicone/rubber protective coating i have seen on a led strip yet

and the 2m strip is long enough to go right round the case

ie--top--front--bottom and back

but again when setting the strip to white compared to setting it to white with the built in case control

the aura white isnt as clearly white as the built in controller is the aura has a blue tint

if they were to update the aura software to allow typing in your colour values like nzxt cam does

i am pretty sure typing in 255-255-255 would get a better white

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Thanks bro, great help! I added 2m phanteks rgb led strip to my partpicker collection of mayhem

I started off with a budget of £1400 which is now sitting on £1763 so I guess the blue bleed on white, though not desired, will have to do for now. You would think the guys behind Aura would have at least got their standard colours on point - then again maybe the focus is on what is advertised red-green-blue.

Would you recommend updating the BIOS prior to installing OS? I'm planning on purchasing everything next week so wanna get thing sorted in the best sequence

Also if you dont mind me asking, which fans are you using. Im looking at the NZXT Aer RGB120 for the rear and maybe one (140mm) for the top of the case.

dont forget the phanteks aura adapter think it was under a fiver but need it to connect to the motherboard

i updated the bios after installing windows though see no reason before wouldnt be ok either

just using the stock phanteks fans on the luxe--they are good/quiet but move decent amount of air

so no leds on them

but because my case sits on the floor i wouldnt/dont see the fans so didnt matter to me

plus the amount of light off that phanteks 2m strip means led fans would probably be a waste of time any

way to be honest

and they will probably update aura to include typing in your own colour and possibly add a dim/brightness

feature as

having them on full brightness always seems something that you should be able to alter to me if you wanted

to

heres a picture to give an idea of the light given off by that led strip--this is a temporary build while i was waiting

for my gpu block so ignore the state of my build lol

it looks better than that now lol

thats with a quite heavily grey tinted window/side panel as well by the way

and thats the white from the built in case controller not the aura

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Phanteks aura adapter - checked!

Thanks bud, had you not mentioned I would have been pulling my hair out trying to make it work without it.

Your case looks solid, well lit and you even have a gpu backplate. I like!! Ok now i get, when you mentioned the case led i thought you meant it's something you purchased in addition to the case - looks slick!!

Now I have to ask...what on earth is that thing below the GPU, looks like a mini-nuclear kaboomer lol I can see it's a cpu cooler but jeez mate it looks bad-a$$. If my wife saw that she'd be calling the metropolitan terrorist squad lol

KoolllAiidddd

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

I am running the same motherboard and cannot get the rgbs to work for the life of me. May I ask what OS you're running? Aura will not open for me on Windows 10

lol its one of the water cooling reservoirs

just stuck it there temporarily while i was waiting for the graphics card water block

it all looks different now i have the gpu in the loop as well

i am on windows 10 64bit insider preview build 15061

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
koolaid did you install the drivers from the mobo driver/software CD or was it downloaded from the manufacturers website?

Try checking online if you have the latest version.

If all checks out and the problem persists, I would first uninstall the app and then re-install it from the manufacturers website.

and just to clarify

the leds that come with the case are only the line--kind of L shape rotated--that goes along the top and down the front

both the large and small windows and everything in there

are being lit by the 2m led strip

the phanteks aura adapter not only lets you connect the led strip to the motherboard

it also has a second connector where you can connect the built in leds of the case

so when you change the colour of the led strip the built in leds also go to the same colour

right down to even the illuminated on/off button

and to clarify when i mentioned different tones of white

the first photo i showed is the white that is provided by the case--it has around 8 colours or so you can cycle through by pressing a button on the case

to me its a pretty pure white--you have to allow that my photos might show it a little differently from what i actually see with my eyes here

now this is the white that asus aura gives--the build is moved around as got gpu block on in this photo

but the lighting hasnt been moved at all just controlled by aura and not the case

to me this has a very much bluer tint to the white--which is what i mentioned before

light from case so can see the two next to each other

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
I actually prefer the cases white tone opposed to Aura. Unfortunately my case won't have enclosed led lighting options hence I guess the white-blue might have to do for now. I was initially looking to purchase the HUE+ and led fans but i've been imprisoned by an already stretched budget and nope just hope Asus releases an update to it's Aura colour configuration.

TBH if you look at my current laptop build (signature below), I shouldn't be worried at all....the intended specs and any of these new features for me is a HUGEEEEE MASSSSSIVEEE transformation lol. From an old infant GT 555 gpu to a GTX 1060 6GB I should be over the moon but yet being a perfectionist I gotto get everything spot on! Either way, the end result with current gaming graphics at ultra (which ive never tried before) is gonna be something miraculous for a newcomer

KoolllAiidddd

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

Do you think it could be Wins 10 Pro? I've updated everything from the bios to every.single.driver. I'm out of ideas.

KoolllAiidddd

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

I downloaded it from the website because I don't have a CD drive on my PC. i've tried uninstalling multiple times. I've deleted the registrys from it and re-installed. I cleared CMOS and tried. I've updated bios, reverted it to the 7 version and tried updating it back to the 8. I've deleted almost every single program on my PC thinking maybe something was controlling it and still no luck. When I try to open Aura it pops up on my processes, just no actual screen.

its 10 pro i am using

just its the preview version

what version aura?

as more than one on the motherboard download page

KoolllAiidddd

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

AURA_Win7-81-10_VER10109 That's the file I have installed

just looked they removed the other 2 versions now so only

Aura V1.04.29 there now is the newest which is newer than what you have

KoolllAiidddd

Prominent