Asus Transformer Prime TF201: A Tablet With A Higher Calling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I got mine with the dock. I love it. I use it for work. I record audio and take notes in meetings. I have access to all my emails (work and personal), and use Google Docs for most things. Splash top gets me connected to my main work machine if I need something else. Browsing is really fast, and PDANet gets me a data connection from my Moto Atrix. The screen is really is awesome. The pictures don't do it justice when it is outside in the bright sun light.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Andrew: PassMark's Performance Test is available on BOTH Android and iOS, even though the scoring system is a bit odd (rates ios stuff higher despite the same measurement of fps etc), but the rates measures seem to be fair.

For example, a ZTE Blade's 2D graphics outclassed my ipod touch (4th gen) and more or less tied it in the 3D graphics area. The ipod got around 50 fps in the complex graphics test, the Blade got around 45, my friend's ipad 2 got around 60.

It seems to do well on both, so you could check it out maybe...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.passmark.pt_mobile&hl=en
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/performancetest-mobile/id494438360?mt=8

Terrance

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
The TF701 hardware, coupled with Win8 is shaping up to be at the top of my wish-list. I could see running this for RDP to my main workstation as much as simple media consumption.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Andrew: PassMark's Performance Test is available on BOTH Android and iOS, even though the scoring system is a bit odd (rates ios stuff higher despite the same measurement of fps etc), but the rates measures seem to be fair.For example, a ZTE Blade's 2D graphics outclassed my ipod touch (4th gen) and more or less tied it in the 3D graphics area. The ipod got around 50 fps in the complex graphics test, the Blade got around 45, my friend's ipad 2 got around 60.It seems to do well on both, so you could check it out maybe...https://play.google.com/store/apps/ [...] bile&hl=enhttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/per [...] 38360?mt=8[/citation]

I've tried passmark, but I'm more hesitant to adopt their tests. Putting aside whatever you feel about their desktop software, which is a whole different discussion.

GLBenchmark is the mobile industry standard for graphics performance. It's what the companies use internally to evaluate performance during an R&D phase. That said, we've had a pretty good line of communication with Kishonti (and GeekBench), so we have a good understanding of what the programming looks like on each operating system. As a result, it's easy for us to use those titles in our reviews in a cross platform comparison. Right now, I can't say the same for Passmark. However, I've been playing the benchmark you mentioned here and there. Since it originally came out, I've noticed some shifting (post updates), so I'm still on the fence on how we might use it.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]I've tried passmark, but I'm more hesitant to adopt their tests. Putting aside whatever you feel about their desktop software, which is a whole different discussion.GLBenchmark is the mobile industry standard for graphics performance. It's what the companies use internally to evaluate performance during an R&D phase. That said, we've had a pretty good line of communication with Kishonti (and GeekBench), so we have a good understanding of what the programming looks like on each operating system. As a result, it's easy for us to use those titles in our reviews in a cross platform comparison. Right now, I can't say the same for Passmark. However, I've been playing the benchmark you mentioned here and there. Since it originally came out, I've noticed some shifting (post updates), so I'm still on the fence on how we might use it.Cheers,Andrew Ku[/citation]
Hmmm i see....yeah i think i sort of know what you mean...they changed the way they calculated CPU encryption bandwidth...my ipod shot up from ~5 MBps to ~22 MBps...and yeah it seems to output fluctuating results, even if they are only small fluctuations.

I was originally excited about passmark because it was available on Android, iOS and the PC, so i thought it was a nice way to see how mobile devices are coming along...but i guess we have geekbench for that too.

But i agree with you, better to use something you trust. What about Vellamo and AnTuTu (plus their battery benchmark)? Have you tried them? Their battery benchmark seems to be a very worst-case method of testing, just loads up the CPU at 100% till the battery hits 20% (or 15%, can't remember)? But then again they're not suitable for cross-platform evaluation...

Hey i just had a brainwave: Why doesn't Tom's develop it's own benchmark! That would be awesome! Or you could hold a contest or something, people could submit stuff.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
better then iPad... only the screen resolution is better on the iPad... anyways, the Asus looks more user friendly and uses android =)

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Hi,

on Gamut screen, you state that Galaxy Tab has 62%, iPad 3 66% of adobe RGB, yet on graph with triangles Samsung is nowhere near iPad 3. Either first or the latter must be wrong.

PS
Heh, yet another "great" tablet with poor screen, you suck, Asus...

G

I don't get the idea of using a tablet for productivity. Will it run Microsoft Office 10? I don't think so, but my Acer dual core Atom powered 10" screen netbook will, and it's so portable (with keyboard) that it makes these expensive toy tablets seem ridiculous. It can also surf the Web, too. The darn thing also cost only $250.

Lucid Moments

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
It could be a great tablet, but since you can't find them anywhere then I guess I will never know. I'll look at the Acer A510 instead. I can find that.

G

Wish you had mentioned whether you had any wifi issues. There has been much written about this and it's the only reason I haven't bought one. I really trust your reviews. Thanks

gogodigital

Honorable
May 24, 2012
This is a great update on the TF101. If we all waited for the next better model we would be constantly waiting and not enjoying the current 'happening' technology :)

gogodigital

Honorable
May 24, 2012
This is a great update on the TF101. If we all waited for the next better model we would be constantly waiting and not enjoying the current 'happening' technology :)

spind426

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
so tired of all the people that speak in terms of.. "oh well its 1080p!!" like 1080p is the best thing available with no questions asked.. There could be a tv 100 miles wide and u would still think it had good image quality if it said "1080p" 1080p is just a resolution, they standardized it with categories "720p 480p 720i 1080p" just to give noobs the courage to think they know what they are talking about. Picture quality (sharpness) is and always HAS been based on pixels per inch!! For example, if you have very good vision, the best picture i have seen between all the devices i own is on my iphone4s. 326ppi is insane! 1080p tvs average at like 100 something.. I am starting to be disguisted by high defintion tvs and computer monitors ever since my main focus has shifted to the super fine mobile displays. I just hope this super mega high ppi displays start taking over soon. Geez all these people gettin so worked up over hdmi out?? Lets get some HDMI IN!!!! I literally have an addiction to high pixel densities.

peter_upnorth

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Product looks good, sleek and nice to touch.
Had poor WIFI and as good as no GPS, would not charge. Called ASUS support and after many calls and resets and re-installs of OS finally sent in for RMA. Comes back not working better. Again sent in for RMA and finally now GPS does not work at all and camera does not work anymore either.
They did offer the dongle, but seriously if you purchase a sleek top of the line tablet the last thing you want is add devices just to make it work. May as well buy the heavier versions of ACER or Sony and at least its an all in one ;)

Can't say I am impressed with the TF201 and certainly not with ASUS support.

peter_upnorth

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Product looks good, sleek and nice to touch.
Had poor WIFI and as good as no GPS, would not charge. Called ASUS support and after many calls and resets and re-installs of OS finally sent in for RMA. Comes back not working better. Again sent in for RMA and finally now GPS does not work at all and camera does not work anymore either.
While the TF201 seems nice it makes no sense to buy a top tear product at a premium price and then add a dongle just to use a basic function.

But the support from ASUS was one of the worse in my career. They were all very nice and certainly training on positive "verbal experience" but useless for technical solutions. So far I had it for nearly 7 months and had little usable time from it.

frankie_f1

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Asus service is horrible. It is so bad that the Better Business Bureau has posted an alert to warn consumers. I had to send my unit for repair and they returned the parcel without opening it. Instead of paying the shipping costs, they are asking me to cover the full cost of sending it there, having it returned and sending it back. Had I known before that the service was that bad, I would not have bought their product.

frankie_f1

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Asus service is horrible. It is so bad that the Better Business Bureau has posted an alert to warn consumers. I had to send my unit for repair and they returned the parcel without opening it. Instead of paying the shipping costs, they are asking me to cover the full cost of sending it there, having it returned and sending it back. Had I known before that the service was that bad, I would not have bought their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS