[SOLVED] Asus Tuf 4070 Ti - Help me understand why FPS & Temperatures are so low

Oseriduun

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Let me start off by stating that my PC specs are dated and I understood that there would be some bottle-necking issues.
CPU - 3770k @ 3.50GHZ (10yrs old)
RAM - 16gb DDR3
MB - Asus p8Z77-V Deluxe
PSU - Corsair AX1200
Monitors - 144Hz 1440p

I recently upgraded from a GTX 970 to an Asus Tuf RTX 4070 Ti with the intention to upgrade the rest of my hardware at a later date.
Thus far, I've played World of Warcraft, Fortnite, GTA 5 & PubG.
In all cases, I've experienced very little FPS gain, in most cases barely reaching the 60FPS mark, at times higher but very inconsistent. It could just be in my head but the games do tend to run a bit smoother at least.

I was expecting a lot more, even with the older specs on the other hardware. Am I wrong to expect this?

However, what I've also noticed is that the GPU temperature never crosses 35 degrees. In fact, idle or in-game, the temperature stays almost the same. I currently monitor this using MSI Afterburner but I've also run other apps and all read the same. GPU usage is there, but the temperature never moves and the fps is still quite low. Why are my idle temperatures and under load almost exactly the same and how is the barely an upgrade to the 970?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
You have a dinosaur as your CPU with a very modern, high-end GPU. That is the problem. You said you barely saw an FPS gain. Which is honestly natural considering the issue was never the GPU in your case, but always the CPU and RAM. The GPU isn't the only component in charge of spitting out many frames. To overly simplify it, the CPU first calculates frames before sending draw calls to the GPU. When the CPU is much weaker than the GPU, it will limit how many frames the GPU will calculate because it cannot deliver information to the GPU fast enough. To make matters even worse, you play some rather CPU-intensive games like MMOs. This usually gets better at higher resolutions, but in your case that won't happen, at all. The disparity is too...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
However, what I've also noticed is that the GPU temperature never crosses 35 degrees. In fact, idle or in-game, the temperature stays almost the same. I currently monitor this using MSI Afterburner but I've also run other apps and all read the same. GPU usage is there, but the temperature never moves and the fps is still quite low. Why are my idle temperatures and under load almost exactly the same and how is the barely an upgrade to the 970?

What is your CPU utilization, when your GPU idles by?

KyaraM

Admirable
You have a dinosaur as your CPU with a very modern, high-end GPU. That is the problem. You said you barely saw an FPS gain. Which is honestly natural considering the issue was never the GPU in your case, but always the CPU and RAM. The GPU isn't the only component in charge of spitting out many frames. To overly simplify it, the CPU first calculates frames before sending draw calls to the GPU. When the CPU is much weaker than the GPU, it will limit how many frames the GPU will calculate because it cannot deliver information to the GPU fast enough. To make matters even worse, you play some rather CPU-intensive games like MMOs. This usually gets better at higher resolutions, but in your case that won't happen, at all. The disparity is too great. So what you need now is a better CPU.

Solution

Oseriduun

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
You have a dinosaur as your CPU with a very modern, high-end GPU. That is the problem. You said you barely saw an FPS gain. Which is honestly natural considering the issue was never the GPU in your case, but always the CPU and RAM. The GPU isn't the only component in charge of spitting out many frames. To overly simplify it, the CPU first calculates frames before sending draw calls to the GPU. When the CPU is much weaker than the GPU, it will limit how many frames the GPU will calculate because it cannot deliver information to the GPU fast enough. To make matters even worse, you play some rather CPU-intensive games like MMOs. This usually gets better at higher resolutions, but in your case that won't happen, at all. The disparity is too great. So what you need now is a better CPU.
Oh, so the bottle neck is a lot greater than I should have expected? I just felt like something was odd that my GPU temps didn't see to be moving at all, I've never experienced anything like it and had me thinking it wasn't even making use of the card, especially on a game like GTA 5 in storymode