Question Asus TUF-AX5400 WIFI 6 Router setup

ledge97

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
Hi, I've recently purchased a TUF-AX5400 WIFI 6 Router. I bought this to uprade my router that came with my internet package. My ISP router is a modem and router all in one and therefore I need to put it in modem mode to connect my new router. However my ISP router doesn't give me the option to put it in modem mode. So my only other option is to use the router as an Access point instead, unless I change providers of course... So my question is, if I use the new router as an Access point instead will I still get all the features and benefits etc ?

Depends on what features you want.

Putting it in AP mode is almost like putting the wifi radio chips in the ISP router. I assume you are doing this because the ISP does not have wifi6. It should run as though the ISP router was a wifi6 router.

Be aware most end devices do not fully support wifi6. To fully use that router you need devices that also support 160mhz radio channels. It is a very rare feature for a phone.

Reactions: ledge97

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I've recently purchased a TUF-AX5400 WIFI 6 Router. I bought this to uprade my router that came with my internet package. My ISP router is a modem and router all in one and therefore I need to put it in modem mode to connect my new router. However my ISP router doesn't give me the option to put it in modem mode. So my only other option is to use the router as an Access point instead, unless I change providers of course... So my question is, if I use the new router as an Access point instead will I still get all the features and benefits etc ?
Most of the advanced features are disabled in AP mode. So it will depend on what features you want.

ledge97

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
Depends on what features you want.

Putting it in AP mode is almost like putting the wifi radio chips in the ISP router. I assume you are doing this because the ISP does not have wifi6. It should run as though the ISP router was a wifi6 router.

Be aware most end devices do not fully support wifi6. To fully use that router you need devices that also support 160mhz radio channels. It is a very rare feature for a phone.
Thanks for the reply 👍 the hope is to take advantage of the features like MU-MIMO and WiFi 6 as my ISP router struggles with the demand, and generally too benefit from the faster speeds. Is this still possible in AP mode if I just connect all my devices to that instead of the ISP router ? Also does anyone know what ISP routers support modem mode/ bridge mode ?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply 👍 the hope is to take advantage of the features like MU-MIMO and WiFi 6 as my ISP router struggles with the demand, and generally too benefit from the faster speeds. Is this still possible in AP mode if I just connect all my devices to that instead of the ISP router ? Also does anyone know what ISP routers support modem mode/ bridge mode ?
The WIFI features should all be available.
To find a modem-only device, you need to contact your ISP. Most ISPs have a specific list of devices they will support.