Question Asus TUF Dash F15 won’t stay on anymore

i12

May 4, 2022
Hi,

My ASUS TUF Dash F15 has suddenly stopped working. It was manufactured in January 2021 and I owned it ever since. It crashed twice (instant black screen) and now it won't turn on correctly.
  • On battery, it doesn't turn on at all, no lights nor sounds come on.
  • On power, the orange led for battery charging turns on. It turns on with all lights on, screen working and booting. But after 20 seconds or so it all shuts down again, all lights out, including the battery charging orange led.
I can quickly glance at the BIOS before it shuts down, it says the fans are not turning. The CPU heat slowly goes up, I think it shuts down around 50 degrees celsius? But the last time I tried to power it one it shut down at 38c so I’m worried it stays on for shorter and shorter periods of time. The battery seems to be charging, last I checked it was at 83% and I see no bulging (I unplugged it from the power still to be safe). Tried different power adaptors and sockets, same result.
I'm assuming there's a problem with the power or the fans (or both)?
A few warning signs that may be related that happened before this breakdown:
  • The day before this happened I was getting pop-ups saying the UI was switching between different modes (eco, turbo, normal...). Never saw that before, it was odd and annoying, I made it stop by changing the power setting manually.
  • I've had USB and internet connectivity issues with it recently, but less likely to be related (who knows though).
  • My partner said the fans were sometimes running very loudly when my lid was shut down/computer supposedly sleeping. And that they were not always running when I was playing games and such (or at least he couldn't hear them).
Someone on another website suggested the thermal sensors could be faulty and may need to be reconnected, so I opened up the laptop but couldn’t figure out where these could be. I know nothing about repairing a laptop so I’m assuming this is a technical issue out of my reach. I’m considering bringing the laptop to a repair shop, except if someone here can give me an idea of how to diagnose? Or what the most probable diagnosis is?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached is a photo of the inside, and on this page I posted a video of when the laptop shuts down with the BIOS open.

ZASg5Tr4dQryOoOv.huge

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

running very loudly when my lid was shut down/computer supposedly sleeping.
That would indicate that the laptop was yet running, not in hibernation/sleep mode.

If the laptop shuts down while in BIOS, this isn't a minor issue. Did you try disconnecting the battery from the laptop and only using your wall outlet/adapter to power the laptop? Disregard any battery warnings and see if you can get to GUI. I'm leaning towards the motherboard on the laptop being dead/faulty. At this point you might need to replace a chip or more to get the laptop back up and running.

i12

May 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

running very loudly when my lid was shut down/computer supposedly sleeping.
That would indicate that the laptop was yet running, not in hibernation/sleep mode.

If the laptop shuts down while in BIOS, this isn't a minor issue. Did you try disconnecting the battery from the laptop and only using your wall outlet/adapter to power the laptop? Disregard any battery warnings and see if you can get to GUI. I'm leaning towards the motherboard on the laptop being dead/faulty. At this point you might need to replace a chip or more to get the laptop back up and running.

Thank you for your welcome and answer! 😊

I hesitated to try to remove the battery and run the laptop on power outlet only. Is it perfectly safe to do so on this model?

If it is a motherboard issue indeed, I assume that would be the most costly repair to do… Would my only way to get it replaced for cheap to ask Asus to repair it? Their repair service is awful so I’m hesitant to send my laptop there, but the laptop is barely 1.5 years old so I wasn’t planning on buying another one already…