Question Asus tuf F15 fx506 increase battery life?

Nov 6, 2021
Hey there.
So I bought new tuf fx506 i5-10300h - gtx1650 laptop. the battery is 48wh but it lasts around one hour and half while browsing (just typical online class).
I read in some reviews (for other fx506 configs) that it should be going up to 4 hours, but it doesn't even give me 2 hours when web browsing. is this normal?
And if it is normal, how can I extend battery life? can undervolting be useful?

Armoury crate mode: silent
Power plan: power saver

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Ideally you should be on version 21H1 for the OS. As for the laptop, check and see what your BIOS version is and cross reference it with your laptop's support site by Asus. If you have a number of BIOS updates pending update, gradually work your way to the latest, taking note of any MEI firmware updates along the way.

Often times, I've had to reinstall an OS from scratch after recreating the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then manually installing all relevant drivers for the laptop in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Then disabling Disk Defragmentation and Drive indexing, reducing the screen brightness and removing unwanted items in startup to help with battery conservation.

Reactions: poolgim
Nov 6, 2021

Ideally you should be on version 21H1 for the OS. As for the laptop, check and see what your BIOS version is and cross reference it with your laptop's support site by Asus. If you have a number of BIOS updates pending update, gradually work your way to the latest, taking note of any MEI firmware updates along the way.

Often times, I've had to reinstall an OS from scratch after recreating the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then manually installing all relevant drivers for the laptop in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Then disabling Disk Defragmentation and Drive indexing, reducing the screen brightness and removing unwanted items in startup to help with battery conservation.

I'll give it a try then. if the problem solved I'll let you know.

Nov 6, 2021

OK. Today I wasn't that busy and had the time to install another windows. I installed windows 10 21h1 on my laptop, no changes.

And I didn't updated the BIOS because I was curious if I can unlock CPU overclocking and so( afraid that newer BIOS versions don't let me do that).

Sorry if that's not much related to this topic's title, but do you know how can I unlock CPU? (I googled it but couldn't find anything for this model of laptop) And... I heard that undervolting CPU can help a bit. Is that true?( I don't know how CPU works, but simple electrical equations say that voltage^2 ∝ power when resistance is constant) Because most of the times I'm not gonna need 100% of my CPU processing speed, so if undervolting and reducing clock speed helps battery life, I would like to do that.

Wayss37

Prominent
Mar 10, 2020
OK. Today I wasn't that busy and had the time to install another windows. I installed windows 10 21h1 on my laptop, no changes.

And I didn't updated the BIOS because I was curious if I can unlock CPU overclocking and so( afraid that newer BIOS versions don't let me do that).

Sorry if that's not much related to this topic's title, but do you know how can I unlock CPU? (I googled it but couldn't find anything for this model of laptop) And... I heard that undervolting CPU can help a bit. Is that true?( I don't know how CPU works, but simple electrical equations say that voltage^2 ∝ power when resistance is constant) Because most of the times I'm not gonna need 100% of my CPU processing speed, so if undervolting and reducing clock speed helps battery life, I would like to do that.

I don't think that laptop CPUs can be overclocked, I'm not sure though.
You can undervolt, but I'm not sure if that would increase battery life given you do light tasks (I ask a similar question recently). If you use balanced mode Windows should lower the frequency anyway