Question ASUS TUF Gaming F15 2020 Wi-Fi Card Issue and Cooling Problem

May 24, 2022
I have been using my ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH-HN004 model gaming laptop for about 9 months.

During this time, I had many difficulties.

My gaming laptop specs:

ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH-HN004
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x64
Intel Core i5-10300H 4C/8T CPU 2.50GHz @ 4.50GHz
8GB DDR4 3200MHz 1x8 CL22 1.20V SO-DIMM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 + Intel UHD Graphics 630
MediaTek MT7921 Wi-Fi 6 WLAN Card
ASUS BIOS v310
15.6" 144Hz 1920x1080 FHD Display

The first and most important of these is the failure of the Wi-Fi card. The Wi-Fi card model in the device is MediaTek MT7921 Wi-Fi 6 WLAN Card.

I get blue screen error many times due to my laptop's Wi-Fi card. Also, my Wi-Fi connection drops on rare occasions. My Wi-Fi connection drops and I get a blue screen error. After the blue screen, my network connection disappears as if there is no Wi-Fi feature. In short, we can say that the Wi-Fi card is faulty.
Since August 2021 I've had more than 20 blue screen errors caused by the Wi-Fi card.

Another problem is the cooling problem. It has Intel Core i5-10300H as processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 as graphics card. Laptop cannot cool CPU and video card. My CPU is always running above 95 degrees in games. The video card had exceeded 90 degrees in the eFootball PES 2021 game. All of this happened in ASUS Armory Create when the performance mode was in "Turbo" mode. The UnderVolt feature of the laptop is locked and won't turn on. I'm thinking of replacing thermal paste, if you have any suggestions, you can write.

Currently I have tested GTA V, Mafia D.E, eFootball PES 2021, A Plague Tale Innocence, Hitman Absolution, CS:GO, Valorant and LoL games.

Last edited:
I have been using my ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH-HN004 model gaming laptop for about 9 months.

My gaming laptop specs:

Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x64
ASUS BIOS v310

The first and most important of these is the failure of the Wi-Fi card. The Wi-Fi card model in the device is MediaTek MT7921 Wi-Fi 6 WLAN Card.

I get blue screen error many times due to my laptop's Wi-Fi card. Also, my Wi-Fi connection drops on rare occasions. My Wi-Fi connection drops and I get a blue screen error. After the blue screen, my network connection disappears as if there is no Wi-Fi feature. In short, we can say that the Wi-Fi card is faulty.
Since August 2021 I've had more than 20 blue screen errors caused by the Wi-Fi card.

Another problem is the cooling problem. It has Intel Core i5-10300H as processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 as graphics card. Laptop cannot cool CPU and video card. My CPU is always running above 95 degrees in games. The video card had exceeded 90 degrees in the eFootball PES 2021 game. All of this happened in ASUS Armory Create when the performance mode was in "Turbo" mode. The UnderVolt feature of the laptop is locked and won't turn on. I'm thinking of replacing thermal paste, if you have any suggestions, you can write.

Currently I have tested GTA V, Mafia D.E, eFootball PES 2021, A Plague Tale Innocence, Hitman Absolution, CS:GO, Valorant and LoL games.
Have you tried to update the bios to the latest? for cooling problem you might want to see if the heatsink exit is blocked by dust or is dirty, you might want to use a compressor to blow the dust away.

If the wifi card is failing maybe you want to try get another wifi card? like intel wifi ac + bt if you want to.

I have been using my ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH-HN04 model gaming laptop for about 9 months.

My gaming laptop specs:

Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x64
ASUS BIOS v310

There appears to be an updated wifi driver Version V22.130.0.5 dated 2022/05/06 on the ASUS support website. Did you try that? Also when wifi drops on a laptop the computer may be shutting it off because it thinks you're not using it at them moment. You could check the Control Panel Power Options to make sure that Wireless Adapter Settings Power Saving Mode is set to Maximum Performance and check the Device Manager Network Adapter Properties Power Management tab to make sure the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device" is UNchecked.

May 24, 2022
Have you tried to update the bios to the latest? for cooling problem you might want to see if the heatsink exit is blocked by dust or is dirty, you might want to use a compressor to blow the dust away.

If the wifi card is failing maybe you want to try get another wifi card? like intel wifi ac + bt if you want to.
First of all, thank you for your reply.

There is no object blocking the cooling outlet. As I said, I've been using it for 9 months, I haven't done anything like fan cleaning and thermal paste replacement.

For the Wi-Fi card error, the replacement of the card voids the warranty by ASUS. My BIOS version is up to date.

There appears to be an updated wifi driver Version V22.130.0.5 dated 2022/05/06 on the ASUS support website. Did you try that? Also when wifi drops on a laptop the computer may be shutting it off because it thinks you're not using it at them moment. You could check the Control Panel Power Options to make sure that Wireless Adapter Settings Power Saving Mode is set to Maximum Performance and check the Device Manager Network Adapter Properties Power Management tab to make sure the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device" is UNchecked.
Thank you again for your reply.

My Wi-Fi card driver is out of date, I'll update it when I'm available. The setting you mentioned in device manager is turned off. But not in maximum performance mode. I'll do it when I'm free and report back.

Good day :).