[SOLVED] Asus Tuf x570 wont boot windows 10

Sep 29, 2020
So I’ve been having trouble booting a previously installed version of Windows 10 off of my Samsung 970 evo m.2 drive.
I have an Asus tuf x570 motherboard that hasn’t given me any trouble until I decided to add another ssd to my secondary m.2 slot.

The ssd I installed is another 970. After installing the ssd windows does not boot but I am instead prompted to “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”. No matter what I do the bios can not detect that there is a present installation of windows 10 on the ssd and boot it.

Now the ssd was not the only thing I upgraded today but it seems to be the most reasonable cause. I also upgraded my psu (Gigabyte P750GM) and Case (NZXT H710I).

I have failed to find a solution short of just doing a clean install of windows 10 and any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Specs
ASUS TUF X570 Plus
Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 3080 Ventus
Gigabyte P750GM
2 x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSDs
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
WD green HDD

Sep 29, 2020
you need to get into BIOS to change the BOOT PRIORITY, also if you changed motherboards it's always a good idea to re-install win 10. you may experience issues bring your OS from another system
So the only thing I added was another ssd, Windows has been running on this motherboard without a problem. It was a fresh installation on the current board. I’ve also changed the Boot priority to the ssd that has windows installed, as I already said the bios doesn’t recognize that there is an installation of windows on the ssd and it tells me to insert media.

So the only thing I added was another ssd, Windows has been running on this motherboard without a problem. It was a fresh installation on the current board. I’ve also changed the Boot priority to the ssd that has windows installed, as I already said the bios doesn’t recognize that there is an installation of windows on the ssd and it tells me to insert media.
Look here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044083
What you possibly have:
now you have 2 M2 SSD and 1 SATA 2.5" SSD (the 860 EVO).
But when you installed Win 10 you had one M2 SSd and the SATA connected EVO and the HDD, and what happened is that win 10 put some booting partition on the EVO or the HDD. When you had only these 3, everything worked.
But by adding the 2nd M2 SSD this closed the SATA6G_1 port, to which I am ready to bet your EVO or HDD is connected.
And this resulted in the PC not able to boot because it could not find the booting partition on the now disconnected SATA SSD or HDD.

SO, if you want to use all 3 SSDs:
  1. take out the 2nd M2 SSD
  2. disconnect the SATA SSD and the HDD from the motherboard.
  3. re-install WIN 10 on the first SSD (keeping only this one connected)
  4. after Win 10 installation, connect your 2nd M2 SSD
  5. connect your SATA SSD and HDD BUT TO OTHER SATA CONNECTORS AS SATA6G_1 port is not functional any more

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy_fieri
Sep 29, 2020
Look here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044083
What you possibly have:
now you have 2 M2 SSD and 1 SATA 2.5" SSD (the 860 EVO).
But when you installed Win 10 you had one M2 SSd and the SATA connected EVO and the HDD, and what happened is that win 10 put some booting partition on the EVO or the HDD. When you had only these 3, everything worked.
But by adding the 2nd M2 SSD this closed the SATA6G_1 port, to which I am ready to bet your EVO or HDD is connected.
And this resulted in the PC not able to boot because it could not find the booting partition on the now disconnected SATA SSD or HDD.

SO, if you want to use all 3 SSDs:
  1. take out the 2nd M2 SSD
  2. disconnect the SATA SSD and the HDD from the motherboard.
  3. re-install WIN 10 on the first SSD (keeping only this one connected)
  4. after Win 10 installation, connect your 2nd M2 SSD
  5. connect your SATA SSD and HDD BUT TO OTHER SATA CONNECTORS AS SATA6G_1 port is not functional any more
This worked perfectly 👍 I unfortunately had to completely reinstall windows but everything is working perfectly. I really appreciate the help, I searched up and down for hours and couldn’t find any helpful resources!

Joe02a

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2015
I thought that the M.2 Ports didn't cancel any of the sata ports on the X570 boards. Only the x470 and B550. I have the x570 Tuf as well, and my 860 Evo is slower on this board than on my old m5a99fx pro r2.0. Then my 970 Plus is not as fast as other people's. I get 3288/2665 reads and writes where I should be looking at 3500/3200.

Last edited: