Asus Unveils Four Enthusiast X99 Boards With RGB Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pieter91

Commendable
May 10, 2016
The unknown port on the expansion card is most likely a mini DisplayPort input for Thunderbolt passthrough.

Wish they made one with legacy PCI. Would it kill them to add the ATX compatibility? Cant tell which will work with my case. Everything else looks great for for the price. I think they maybe should have another lower priced mother board. Many gamers are looking at getting 6 core systems due to dx12 with many who rarely venture into sli\crossfire video cards. Maybe a 4 dimm, 2 PCI-E build focused on the 28 lane 6800K would make since.

Liam Kelly

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
That port is not mDP. though I think you are close to correct, I am betting it is micro hdmi (it looks very similar).

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
I am more of an EVGA person (not fanboy), as I buy what proves to be quality for the dollar and gives me the features I want. Over the last few years, EVGA has been that brand.
At initial view, the Deluxe II and maybe the ROG STRIX look compelling. ASUS does provide nice accenting without all the plastic stuff making them look dime-store cheap. USB Type A & C and the U.2 connection are nice additions.

Possibly but would be pointless since no LGA 2011 CPU has onboard graphics. It could even be just a normal Thunderbolt port like the TB EXII had.

There is pretty much no use for PCI anymore and it would waste space on the board since the chipset has no PCI support and would require a third party chip.

These boards are all ATX standard (look at where the screw holes are for the furthest right holes). You can also find all of the same boards on their site, well the previous version, except the Strix which is the newest version.

ASRock does make a mITX board but that is the only one and it is still $200 bucks. The cheapest X99 board I have seen is $180.

BlueRaidervol

Commendable
May 10, 2016

Possibly but would be pointless since no LGA 2011 CPU has onboard graphics. It could even be just a normal Thunderbolt port like the TB EXII had.

My Gigabyte X99P-SLI has that exact same setup with a Displayport pass through for video output through Thunderbolt 3. The OP is correct. It's the only way you could use Thunderbolt 3 to output video.

macazian

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006

macazian

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006

Yup, already looked into that. Thunderbolt 3 physically uses a USB type-C connector. So still Thunderbolt 2. ^^

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

BlueRaidervol

Commendable
May 10, 2016
I almost guarantee that's a DisplayPort pass through for the Thunderbolt 3 card. My Gigabyte X99P-SLI has the EXACT same thing for video output through Thunderbolt 3.

pieter91

Commendable
May 10, 2016
The unknown port on the expansion card is most lilely a mini DisplayPort input for Thunderbolt passthrough.

LAJA21

Commendable
May 15, 2016
The unknown port on the expansion card is most likely a mini DisplayPort input for Thunderbolt passthrough.
That port is not mDP. though I think you are close to correct, I am betting it is micro hdmi (it looks very similar).
I think it's a mini USB port.

I think Pieter is right... Mini DP / Thunderbolt 2 port makes the most sense. Not only is this the port found on the previous gen Asus Thunderbolt card, but it's also what the input looks like.

Why on earth would we want a board connected micro-hdmi on a data-port card? Nonsense... and a micro USB also seems like a stupid idea. Use your common sense fellas.

Logic says Mini DP for Thunderbolt 1/2 connections at the 10 or 20Gb/s 2-way speeds.

BlueRaidervol

Commendable
May 10, 2016
It's a freaking mini-Display port for Video INPUT from the GPU to the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Controller so that the Type-C/Thunderbolt 3 port can OUTPUT video.

I have a Gigabyte X99P-SLI Motherboard which has an Alpine Ridge Controller/Thunderbolt 3 and it has the EXACT SAME SETUP for VIDEO OUTPUT from the Thunderbolt 3 port (Display port input instead of Mini). It has nothing to do with Thunderbolt 2.

LAJA21

Commendable
May 15, 2016

What an ignorantly specific and short-sighted use for this "supposed" mini-dp you have come up with... apparently your knowledge of computer hardware is a tad bit limited to your one single experience with using a completely different card in the past that was in fact equipped with a "FULL-SIZE Display Port"... which clearly illustrates, it is not the "EXACT SAME SETUP".

You do know what "exact" means? That's like commenting on a post about a GTX 1080 saying "DUDE, I have the EXACT SAME SETUP!"... "Well it's a GTX 780, but it's exactly the same brothalameu"... no, it's not.

First off... there is nothing about this card that is specifically targeted at video IN/OUT, nor is the connector limited to just one way transfer as you have implied... the use you have given might work, but it's definitely not the sole intention nor the primary of this card, which we don't even have exact specs on yet.

I was only agreeing that it was most likely a "mini DP" as that connector is synnonymous with Thunderbolt I/II. From now on, i'll be referring to it solely as a Thunderbolt I/II port.

Second, ALL Thunderbolt I/II cables use the mini-displayport connector... Apple is largely responsible for this for reasons I won't attempt to explain to you, but this extends to all Apple/non-Apple Thunderbolt I & II accessories as well. Google it.

I use a Thunderbolt II external RAID configuration with the Asus Thunderbolt II PCI card daily. It connects via (you guessed it) Thunderbolt II cable that is, dare i say, EXACTLY the same as a "mini display port" connector :)
This is merely speaking from factual experience though.

Just walk with me for a moment and think about it logically... This is a data card that plugs directly into the PCI slot of the mobo with the claimed use clearly being to add additional data ports. Being that this is a data card designed for Thunderbolt III connectivity, don't you think it makes more sense to include a backwards compatible Thunderbolt 1/2 port on a "Thunderbolt III" card???

Rather than, a very specific accommodation so that one random person can use it as a signal pass-through for video out via USB-C?

Do yourself a favor and run your monitors off your GPU output and if you need to utilize a video signal out for a capture device, you my friend are in luck, because Thunderbolt I/II/III should all work just fine for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.