Asus Unveils ROG Swift PG27AQ 4K IPS G-Sync Gaming Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Did you ask if this monitor would do higher refresh rates at the lower 1080p resolution? Does it also feature light boost like the ROG Swift?

Acer's 144Hz "IPS" panel is believed to be AHVA which is nearly as good as IPS from what I've heard but allows high refresh rates.

I suspect Asus is using a true IPS panel in the 4K monitor and thus limited to 60FPS.

I'd love to see this AHVA panel in a 4K, G-Sync monitor!

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
The Acer is in fact the AUO 144hz AHVA panel - only one of its kind on the planet and since it is AHVA then is HAS to be AUO' (IPS is LG, PLS is Samsung, AHVA is AUO - easy!)

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Good catch - yes that middle BLB is horrendous! No way I would jump on this 4K monitor (especially since it will have to be more expensive the the ROG Swift) if they all have that huge BLB stain in the middle of the screen.

And before people flame off that BLB is inherent in all PLS, IPS, AHVA panels - it isn't. You can get any of these panels that are perfect without BLB even at Grade A levels - I have several that have zero bleed (Overlord Tempests - IPS panels).

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Good catch - yes that middle BLB is horrendous! No way I would jump on this 4K monitor (especially since it will have to be more expensive the the ROG Swift) if they all have that huge BLB stain in the middle of the screen.

And before people flame off that BLB is inherent in all PLS, IPS, AHVA panels - it isn't. You can get any of these panels that are perfect without BLB even at Grade A levels - I have several that have zero bleed (Overlord Tempests - IPS panels).

It might just be reflected light. I don't know, but Ireally hope so! :p

CraigN

Distinguished

All G-SYNC montiors so far have come with Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) that is the successor to Lightboost. I think it's safe to assume it will utilize it.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
The AOC XB280HK is a 4K GSYNC TN panel monitor and costs a nifty $800, so I can only guess an IPS version would cost at least $1200 or more. And make note that no official response time is provided, which leads me to believe that Asus was not able to get the IPS panel down to the 1ms range. Only time will tell what happens. But for me, it is NOT worth the price difference vs. the TN panel version.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
@ Photonboy

"I suspect Asus is using a true IPS panel in the 4K monitor and thus limited to 60FPS."

The most likely reason there is 60Hz refresh rate limitation is not because of the IPS panel, but because the monitor uses a DisplayPort 1.2, which has a limited bandwidth @ 4K resolution. DisplayPort 1.3 will be able to support up to 120Hz @ 4K, but devices supporting the new VESA specification won't be out until later this year:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/displayport-1.3-vesa,27673.html

Status
Not open for further replies.