Asus Unveils Thunderbolt Add-In Upgrade Card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Still too early, just for people with money to blow and the need for social acceptance through gadgetry. I'm sure there are a handful of people who could make use of it, but they are indeed the minority.

G

Of course it is a price premium, it is still new technology. It is for external storage which most of the video/photo world uses. Think about backups and huge data files that won't fit in internal disks and would be hard to change if you wanted to have mulitple drives working as backups. For someone spending 2-4k on a raid array for external storage, $200 is hardly anything for a card. RAID cards or SAS are way more expensive.

G

Didn't we used to be content with 640x480 video not all that long ago? 1920 x 1200 is defacto now, so what bus is going to be used for 2880x1800 next year? would TB help here?

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]PCIe is an internal expansion slot. The slots are not serial - cannot be daisy chained[/citation]
PCIe is serial using 64b66b TMDS encoding across each pair in each direction. It can also be daisy-chained by adding PCIe switches (or "bridges") at each hop, which is exactly what Thunderbolt 'taps' do: insert a device that gets enumerated as a new PCIe bridge at each hop.

G

Does anyone know if the cards work in other manufacturers' MBs?

I don't need DP to be functional as I already have two quad mDP ATI cards.

Aleppi

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

I dont understand this comment. Thunderbolt is a intel creation and it was only that they chose apple as their first OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.