Asus Unveils Two New ROG Swift Displays With G-Sync Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes we sure do. (Hint hint to any OEMs listening :) )

I know, and from an IPS display too. I'm amazed. I've seen one or two displays with refresh past 144 Hz, but that was an "Up To" label and users had to use officially supported overclocking tools to hit that mark. (The Acer Predator display is an example with an "Up to 200 Hz" label). This one is a pre-programmed gaming mode that you just select and your off to the races.

natedawg72

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

I'm not sure that is the native refresh rate. It may just be 144hz. A growing number of announced g-sync monitors during the last few months are advertising "overclocked" refresh rates that are possible because of the gsync module. Acer currently takes the crown with a claimed 200hz on the Predator Z35.

Ok that makes more sense. Still though, amazing for IPS. Can't wait until we see OLED IPS panels with this same refresh rate. :D

Bureaucromancer

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I like the inclusion of the HDMI port, but it would really be a lot more useful imo to include an hdmi adapter and MST output on a second displayport. For that matter MST probably could pass output to the HDMI port, either way daisy chaining monitors really is something I'd like to do, but having an output on a monitor is incredibly rare and hubs stupidly expensive.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
WHOA! DID you hear that! 165hz refresh rate!! First monitor I've seen with anything higher than 144hz.

Just look back 10 years. CRT's were hitting 200Hz before the turn of the century. It's actually quite sad that it has taken this long to catch up.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hmm, not a word about the problems with the PG278Q and pixel inversion or white screen of death. Was that something that didn't happen? I was checking out the PG278Q a couple of weeks ago seeking a higher resolution 3D Vision replacement for my VG278H when I read about the horrors. I guess the got a new G-sync ASIC from NVIDIA with this one, hopefully...

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Wonder how many of these will fail like the swift.
I hope they fixed the major flaw, Mine going in for repairs it died a few weeks back.
Then another guy left me a message on youtube asking how I went as his swift just died as well, Same flickering/blurry text on all refresh rates. I think the G sync module is faulty so I hope they fix it in these upcoming screens.

CraigN

Distinguished
There is a new G-SYNC module in these newer run of monitors, that being said, for every vocal problem with the PG278Q SWIFT there are plenty of *very* happy owners, myself and my roommate included.

It was a first-of-its-kind monitor, there was bound to be bleeding-edge tech issues. Is that "acceptable" for a nearly $800 monitor at launch? That's up for debate, but, every high-end bleeding edge tech product has its issues. Just so happens with a monitor, they're typically immediately obvious since you're staring at it for hours on end.

CraigN

Distinguished

I don't think so. I know for a fact an ASUS Rep over on the ROG forums confirmed that the IPS 1440p one does not, so I can only assume that the 4K one won't either. I'm not sure why, it might be the not-low-enough response time? But I'm not sure.

CraigN

Distinguished

No. It's a TN. That poster is misinformed. The PG278Q is a TN 1440p 144Hz panel and is last year's ROG Swift.

This year it's the PG279Q for IPS 1440p, and PG27AQ for 4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.