Asus Unveils Two ROG G-Sync Monitors, GTX 980 Ti Poseidon, Spatha Gaming Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Now that's the way to do GFX water cooling for those that may be wary of installing their own WB's. No silly CLC stuff.

Yea and all that yearly maintenance that goes with it. Who would want CLC. Those silly people.

Lets not forget that cost. Yea, who would want a CLC.

Those monitors will be awesome, for sure... but painfully spendy. Nice to see an ultra wide format getting some gaming love. That monitor paired with a 980Ti would definitely be a sight to behold.

The same people who like the galvanic corrosion from mixed metals (copper blocks and aluminum rads) , weak pumps and performance inferior to cheaper air coolers.

Maintenance ? I swap out the coolant after 18 months more for a change in color than anything else.

My son just grabbed a 1440p IPS G-Sync 144 Hz Predator for his twin 970 build .... 1st IPS monitor, to my mind, suitable for gaming. I urged him to wait to Asus dropped theirs and compare / take advantage of competitor pricing, but he was antsy.... It "looks Fahhbulous". I was hoping Freesync would knock down the G-Sync prices a bit but until AMD gets it working correctly, that ain't gonna happen.

f-14

Distinguished

The same people who like the galvanic corrosion from mixed metals (copper blocks and aluminum rads) , weak pumps and performance inferior to cheaper air coolers.

Maintenance ? I swap out the coolant after 18 months more for a change in color than anything else.
omg you actually use water, that's so totally 90's, when are you going to graduate to veggie oil? N02 would rule if they would stop designing the heat plates for water, silly rubber gaskets fail under pressure

I use coolants specifically engineered for PC water cooling. I though of CF'ing four 290x's in veggie oil...... be nice to be able to make french fries during work breaks.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

ROTFLMAO

You'd probably be able to, too...

I use coolants specifically engineered for PC water cooling. I though of CF'ing four 290x's in veggie oil...... be nice to be able to make french fries during work breaks.

I'm not all that discerning (or care enough) to worry about the nuances between IPS and TN. Off axis viewing isn't a big deal to me: I sit directly in front of it so I'm always where I need to be. Sure, IPS offers better colors and what not but only recently have they gotten anything close to having the speed of TNs. Refresh is more important than pretty colors in my opinion, but to each their own. I just don't want to spend a huge amount more on an IPS 144Hz panel when it's not all that important to me.

As before, I'm still on the fence as to a 27" or a 34". I'd like to get a G-Sync enabled one but alas, that's not a deal breaker either. Once I'm more prepared, I'll decide. The more options they give us the better off we are. Antsy as your son may have been, I'm sure he got a nice one.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. I have an IPS panel here ($1,000 Dell job) used for image editing. It's not too bad for gaming\like the $250 ones I have seen, but when 4 of us want to game at the same time, the IPS rig is the last one chosen. If you don't use G-Sync, you can always use Lightboost. He was looking at the 34" LG curved one too but again was too antsy to wait.

He is "fiscally conservative" .... then again who isn't after graduating college in debt and working at just above minimum wage for a year before he found a job that he'd use his degree for..... so when he finally landed one, I had urged him to splurge on himself just once and buy himself a graduation / landed 1st "career" job present.

While I'm not in the same financial straits as he, I, too have bills and such to pay (as you would expect from a 40 year old gamer). I'm still using a perfectly functioning and highly capable Samsung SyncMaster 24" @ 60Hz that I got well over six years ago now. I'll keep it and move it to a secondary display seeing as it's still great despite its shortcomings.

I've just found it hard to decide and waiting hasn't ever been a strong point of mine. Seeing as I need to plan accordingly and responsibly (since my wife despises my gaming as a time waste), this next one is going to have to last me a LONG time and hence my apprehension about leaping into something just yet.

Oh you kids ! .... I'm 60 :) .... w/ 3 kids and 6 figures in college debts

After little league, scouting and school athletics, building computers became an interest that we could share and spend time together with..... I think 30% of their school mates and neighborhood chums have PCs built on my workbench (or what the wife likes to call "the dining room table") or they stopped by, texted or called to discuss parts selection.

With hobbies that included mountain biking, reading and PC building / playing, the "playing" part consumed the least of my time. I don't get nagged about "playing time" as it doesn't interfere anything and generally done late at night ... I might play 2 or 3 games a year aside from an MMO that I have been playing for about 10 years (few months on / few off). She plays puzzle type games like Myst and she got a new puter for Mudder's Day but she's more of a TV (Charmed / Gilmore Girls) time waster.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

inferior to air coolers? weak pumps? what do you use?I have no maintenance on my CLC and i have an overclock i7 3690x at a nice 24 C temp. Yup.. it is so weak. Full load I don't even pass 58 C temps.

galvanic corrosion from mixed metals? really? yea, I guess when you spring for crap CLC. I have never had any corrosion from and CLC that I have bought.

If you swap out the cooler every 18 months, you are doing it wrong. Maintenance cycle is yearly on water cooling not to mention cleaning all pipes, connectors, pumps, rads from dust, and blocks. If you don't do any of that every year, you are doing it wrong.

weak pumps? ..... I have no maintenance on my CLC and i have an overclock i7 3690x at a nice 24 C temp. Yup.. it is so weak. Full load I don't even pass 58 C temps.

1. When the word "weak" is used on a pump, it refers to the head or pressure as well as the amount of flow it can produce. The H100i pumps a meager 0.11 gpm and pulls just 2.2 watts.....

http://www.overclock.net/t/1371863/corsair-h100i-max-flow-rate-test-video-result

check any water cooling guide and you'll see no recommendations below 1 gpm.

The Swiftech OLC does well over 1.0 gpm and not only does it have enough oomph to push thru a CPU water block , it has enough oomph to push thru two GFX card water blocks and an additional radiator.... A typical D5 pump will top out at 5.5 psi and up to 4.25 gpm and 22 watts .... 10 times more power than the H100i

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/koolance-pmp-450-d5-vario-pump/

When you use the words strong and weak they are relative terms.... by definition the one who has the bigger number is "stronger" than the other and the one that pushes less is "weaker" than the other.

what do you use?

I use a Swiftech 35x2, (52 watts, max 12.4 psi, 4.5 gpm max) ... 24 times stronger than a H100i

So yes, unequivocally,..... a pump that can produce a maximum of 0.11 gpm and pulls just 2.2 watts is considered "weak" when compared against ones that can do over 4 gpm... that's 36 times greater flow and 10 times as much power ....or, flow wise, like comparing two weightlifters where one can bench 10 pounds (weak) and the other 360 lbs (strong) or , power wise, one can bench 36 pounds (weak) and the other 360 lbs (strong)

galvanic corrosion from mixed metals? really? yea, I guess when you spring for crap CLC. I have never had any corrosion from and CLC that I have bought.

2. Yes, galvanic corrosion, it's associated with "science", particularly chemistry. Like the old saying "Obey Gravity; it's a law". They call them "laws of science" because there is no way around them. You can slow it down but not stop it. If you have ever owned a boat you would know about "zinc anodes" also called "sacrificial anodes" . You put these on a boat and they sacrifice themselves... they erode away so that your props and other metal components exposed to water do not erode away. As for your good / crap CLC categorization can you perhaps explain how the aluminum in a "crap CLC" differs from the aluminum in your CLC ?

Here's a picture of a user's custom water block where the user mixed aluminum and copper. The aluminum eroded away and all the gunk wound up clogging the water block. The was no external indication of this process as all the evidence is inside the block.

copperaluminumcorrosion.jpeg

In a CLC you have an aluminum radiator and a copper block....creating a galvanic circuit..... electrons will flow from the aluminum to the copper as copper is the more "noble" metal. Inhibitors can slow the process but they lose their effectiveness over time. You are in no position to know if you have had any galvanic corrosion in a CLC simply because it is a CLC with the first "C" standing for closed .... it doesn't come apart for inspection. So unless you have a picture to show us of your water block disassembled as shown above, you are in no position to speak to the subject.

If you want to learn about galvanic corrosion read this
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

It's science, it's real, and yes it's still the law. Again, one can use corrosion inhibitors but they lose their effectiveness over time. the fact that you can not flush, clean and add more inhibitor to a CLC is one of it's primary downfalls.

If you swap out the cooler every 18 months, you are doing it wrong. Maintenance cycle is yearly on water cooling not to mention cleaning all pipes, connectors, pumps, rads from dust, and blocks. If you don't do any of that every year, you are doing it wrong.

3. Interesting comment from someone who has a CLC where it is impossible to do the very thing you say is required every year. How often are you cleaning your "pipes, connectors, pumps, rads from dust, and blocks" tho I am real curious how dust gets inside the loop. What is the scientific principle behind mixed metals CLCs never having to do any of this for 5 years and a yet custom loop containing superior components, better engineered coolants, noble metals all around and acrylic pipe (instead of plasticizer containing flexible tubing) has to do it every year ?

Does the CLC manufacturer have "magic coolant" that the defies the laws of science in there ?... maybe they get it from the same guy who sold Jack his magic beans. How does the CLC's coolant, corrosion and scale inhibitors, biocides, etc., manage not to deteriorate within the closed system over time and yet the engineered coolant in the custom loop is completely shot after just 1 year ?

Show me where it says that I have to change my engineered coolant every 12 months ?..... I have an extremely low potential galvanic circuit in my loop because there is no cheap, thermally inefficient, aluminum radiator that serves double duty as a sacrificial anode. From the product page

http://mayhems.co.uk/store/red-1ltr.html

... system working life of about two years, of which is due to a design that is intended for prolonged use.

I have spoken with the product developer and they report that they have found no significant deterioration of the product when in use over 3 years. The 2 year recommendation is conservative.

I do have a system drain on the lower rad and about every 6 months I take a small sample and filter it for any residue .... none found to date. I used about 1.8 liters to fill the loop so have plenty of left over coolant to add. Attach a quick-disconnect, open a valve take an ounce ... takes about a minute, than another minute to top it off tho this step is merely aesthetic and affects only the level in the 10" tall reservoir. There is no scale or anything; if there was it would be readily visible with the "clear" acrylic tubing, the "clear" acrylic GPU blocks or the "clear" acrylic CPU block. Any decrease in cooling efficiency would also be immediately observable via the LCD display of the (6) temperature probes in the system.

Any gunk in the system would be readily visible.... the CPU block, the 2 water blocks , all the tubing is clear acrylic
200x200px-ZC-20ded621_002.jpeg

Or results of which readily viewable on the temperature readouts
200x200px-ZC-385418d0_003.jpeg

I should note that during office hours, all the system fans shut down unless I'm doing something demanding in AutoCAD, in gaming the fans turn on but they start at 350 rpm and never go over 850 rpm , a speed at which they are completely inaudible....as compared to a CLCs 68 dbA which is comparable to a vacuum cleaner

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-snow-silent-750w-psu-review/6/

But the issue here I thought is not my loop against CLCs.... it's:

inferior to air coolers?

Absolutely.

1. CLCs that are more expensive and simply do not perform anywhere near less expensive air coolers.

b2.jpg

Which gets better CPU temps ? The H100i is inferior to the D-15 by 2C ?
Which is louder ? The H100i is 12 times louder than the D-15, the H100i is inferior by 35 dbA
Who's cheaper ? The D-15 is cheaper.
Which presents least risk ? The H100i can do this and the D-15 can't.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=126667

More importantly , why pay $120 for a CLC like the H100i GX with a extremely weak pump, aluminum rad, mixed metals and an inability to do that 1 year maintenance you said was absolutely required for water cooling that can do just the CPU, when for just $20 more I can get an OLC like the H220-X that has all copper components, quite a hefty pump, no mixed metals, guarantees no maintenance but allows me to do it if I want to, AND !!! .... it allows me to open the loop and cool RAM, 1 or 2 GFX cards, add radiators and whatever else without a worry ?

2. Finally, what is the logic where, with the CLC route, you have product lines of 2 (even 3) x 120mm worth of rad for an 84 watt (130 OC) CPU and yet EVGA only allots a 120mm rad for a 250 - 300 watt GFX card ?

If we need a 2 x 120mm H100i to do that 84 - 130 watt CPU, that's 65 watts per 120mm. Taking that to the 980 Ti 's 277 watts (Gigabyte's 980 pulls 342 watts, imagine where their Ti will be)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/29.html

277 watts / 65 per 120mm = 4.26 ... Where's the 4 x 120mm radiator ??

The approach taken by Asus makes far more sense.

1. A user can run the card on air and then later move to water.

2. A user can use a custom loop or a even Swiftech H240-X

3. If they then want to move to water (or right from the getgo) one $85 radiator, cupla feet of tube and a few fittings and you're done..... nice and neat, 1 loop instead of 3 resulting in a much cleaner looking, more efficient and quieter installation with 3+ times the water flow of the 3 loops combined..

EVGA SLI method w/ H100i - 3 pumps, 3 blocks, 3 loops, 4 x 120mm rad in 3 rads

Asus SLI method w/ H240-X - 1 pump, 2 rads, 3 blocks, 6 x 120 rad in 2 rads + the extra fans / heat sinks on the GPU

In the later instance you get twice the cooling for the GPUs, three times the water flow, far less complexity a much cleaner looking installation.... and no noisy 2700 rpm fans.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Well that was a lot to read. You lost me in parts.
What was your point of this huge comment.
I was hoping it was sort of a guide and recommendation for water cooling. Most of it didn't turn out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.