Asus USB 3.0 Motherboard Not Yet Finalized

Status
Not open for further replies.

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've been holding off on an i7 upgrade for this very reason. I want a board with USB 3.0 and Sata3. Even though today's devices can't use the amount of bandwidth these guys support, I still would like to have a motherboard with the latest specifications.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]cekasone[/nom]I've been holding off on an i7 upgrade for this very reason. I want a board with USB 3.0 and Sata3. Even though today's devices can't use the amount of bandwidth these guys support, I still would like to have a motherboard with the latest specifications.[/citation]

^Same here. I dont want to be stuck with USB 2.0 for a couple of years down the road, while every1 else is enjoying it.

Airrax

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I think it is stupid to have both the USB 3.0 and 2.0 on the same board, same with SATA 2 and 3. Each of the new formats are backwards compatible, so why not spend the couple extra bucks (and charge a few more dollars) to have all the ports the new format?

weilin

Distinguished
Simple, Space on a circuit board is at a premium, and Intel Chipset doesn't natively support USB3 or SATA6GB/s. Thus, to get all USB3 and SATA6GB/s you would have to install 3rd party controllers for every port. That costs a lot and renders much of the intel chipset useless. Its just not worth it. Also, where are you going to put all those USB controllers? They have to be on the PCB somewhere. When the Intel chipset natively supports the new standards, you will see boards with full adoption, until then, its just gonna be a few headers here and there. (replace all words "intel" with "AMD/ATI" and you get their side of the story too)

G

The could probably make some extra space for USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0 by dropping PCI, PATA, Floppy, Serial, Parallel, FireWire, PS/2 and any headers for the same.

You know, the stuff that were useless 5-6 years ago but we're still paying for in new products.

G

The one thing I still want out of those is one PCI (it's just too freaking everywhere) and the PS/2 keyboard. When building systems and messing with dual booting USB keyboards are not seen and you therefore cannot interact with anything. I keep having to steal the PS/2 keyboard on my comp to do stuff then putting it back.

Also while not as important as those I use the one PATA left for my optical drives. Why bother buying SATA optical drives? They wont be faster.

[citation][nom]weilin[/nom]Simple, Space on a circuit board is at a premium, and Intel Chipset doesn't natively support USB3 or SATA6GB/s. Thus, to get all USB3 and SATA6GB/s you would have to install 3rd party controllers for every port. That costs a lot and renders much of the intel chipset useless. Its just not worth it. Also, where are you going to put all those USB controllers? They have to be on the PCB somewhere. When the Intel chipset natively supports the new standards, you will see boards with full adoption, until then, its just gonna be a few headers here and there. (replace all words "intel" with "AMD/ATI" and you get their side of the story too)[/citation]

Or they could ditch the IDE ports like on all newer boards - having to use a chip to do it etc

USB3 to most home users is useless - theres nothing that uses it! They dont know or care that that 2 minute transfer is a USB limitation.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I use IDE to this day for optical drive and see no reason to go for going SATA optical drives. So for me, it's not in my best interest to see PATA disappear. I still buy IDE drives for all new builds. I just rather host more HDDs on my system with those SATA ports.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
It would be nice to wait for both the USB3.0 and SATA3...
However, I am concerned about the cost?

It'll wring my i7 budget dry...
I prefer to get the P6T Deluxe V2... yet I still want the USB and SATA...

what to do... what to do...

[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]I use IDE to this day for optical drive and see no reason to go for going SATA optical drives. So for me, it's not in my best interest to see PATA disappear. I still buy IDE drives for all new builds. I just rather host more HDDs on my system with those SATA ports.[/citation]

Why bother with IDE? Sure its fine to use old IDE drives but new stuff you should be buying SATA when its the same price if not cheaper!

SATA has interesting features like external support, hot swap, AHCI, higher bandwidths (which translate to lower latencies usually and higher burst rates), aswell as most SATA devices having more cache etc - its stupid buying IDE for new systems.

G

I've been using a SATA DVD burner since they entered the market. With my older rig that significantly increased boot speed since disabling PATA removed the wait delay.

To say nothing about cable management.

PS/2 keyboards can feel like a necessary commodity in the early startup boot menus unless you enter the BIOS and enable USB keyboard detection, something I've been able to do from my first (2003) rig onwards.

PCI isn't 'everywhere', it's only stuck around this long - and only for sound cards at that - because the port hasn't been dropped in a timely fashion. Much like we won't get 64-bit software before Microsoft stops releasing 32-bit OSs.

I appreciate that some users might have legitimate reasons for using PS/2, PATA or even PCI - though I've yet to see one myself - but those are by far the minority and should be the ones to pay for the privilege with special motherboards or add-on IO cards. Not the great majority.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I really don't care, can any one honestly not say the only reason they are using sata over ide is so they can use the nice small cables? and not have to share the cable? I bet extra theoretical bandwidth is at the bottom of the list anyway. I couldn't have cared less whether I got sata 1 or sata 2 when I got my last computer and I still don't care now, so you say "I don't need it now, but I might need it in the future". this is good thinking in theory but just remember, when is the future? 5 years? 3 years? by then you will be getting a new computer anyway.

as for usb 3, the ability to power a 3.5" external drive would be infinitely more valuable to me than the extra band width. if it CAN do this then its awesome, and i want, otherwise i don't care, id be more interested in that new e-sata standard that carries power for the drive as well.

G

SATA is pointless for the optical drives, if it were faster, you'd see a 150x CD-RW writer... The bottleneck has always been how fast it can spin without making the computer shake... Some people just can't accept that newer isn't always faster, like the Core i7 fanboys that are in denial everytime that i7, Core2 and PhenomII have a three-way tie in a benchmark, they just "know" that the i7 is better, and that the benchmark just isn't smart/modern/optimized enough to know it...

G

core i7 and core2 and phenom II might be there in benchmarks until you use phenom II and core i7. IMC makes both feel so much smoother in daily multitasking -> I have nearly 40 windows open on my screen It admin... that core 2 seems obsolete.

G

xyxeralive: I actually agree 100%, but the Intel fanboys that haven't upgraded to i7 yet don't tend to accept that argument. It also allows higher CPU utilization in real-time scenarios, fewer Xruns, buffer underrunning, etc...

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]xsamitt[/nom]I agree Cekasone.....I am waiting for the same reason.[/citation]

This and DX11 video cards are delaying my upgrade. I'm still on a socket 939.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Waiting for the 3333 boards!

1 - DDR3
2 - USB3
3 - SATA3
4 - PCIe3 (Yep, 2010)

5 - AMD X3 CPU (optional)

Would like to see PCI slots go away too.

*BTW, the 1990 Amiga 3000's 32bit slots, besides PnP (since 16bit/86) - was/is still faster than PCI. :)

Keep the PS/2 ports

G

I really don't care, can any one honestly not say the only reason they are using sata over ide is so they can use the nice small cables? and not have to share the cable? I bet extra theoretical bandwidth is at the bottom of the list anyway. I couldn't have cared less whether I got sata 1 or sata 2 when I got my last computer and I still don't care now, so you say "I don't need it now, but I might need it in the future". this is good thinking in theory but just remember, when is the future? 5 years? 3 years? by then you will be getting a new computer anyway.

as for usb 3, the ability to power a 3.5" external drive would be infinitely more valuable to me than the extra band width. if it CAN do this then its awesome, and i want, otherwise i don't care, id be more interested in that new e-sata standard that carries power for the drive as well.

Hey bro I am 100% with you here, even though it might be nice to have USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0, but 1st none of my devices are 3.0, neither USB nor SATA, 2nd by the time these 3.0 Devices are on the market they you can always buy a separate USB/SATA 3 card and get on the roll. Save money today and get in the game. I do have a BIG NEED to power my USB and SATA devices without using other cables and I think it was utterly stupid on SATA I/II designers part and I think SATA III is not much better. GIVE POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!! Isn't it in the US constitution after all?... Well may be not but I want it, NOW!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.