[SOLVED] ASUS VII Hero AMD PBO issues ?

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
So i was watching a video review of the VIII Hero by Buildzoid and he mentioned that the VIII board is a pretty good board unless Asus messed up the PBO implementation like the VII Hero
My main concern is that i just bought the VII Hero like 6 days ago and rocking a 3700x. Are you aware of what Buildzoid is referring to here ?

Solution
Can you replace the board, i.e return the board and get a latter version? PBO is actually shorthand for Lead(II)Oxide if you're familiar with chemistry and the periodic table.
Nope. Im stuck with it now.
I know the periodic table but i have no idea what you talking about here lol
Lead Oxide, lol, good for a base for painting with oil paints on canvas and wood, what does it have to do with computers ?
What Buildzoid was talking about is AGESA code that didn't allow 3rd gen Ryzen to boost to frequencies CPU is capable of. There was some 100 - 200MHz "missing" on automatic boost. AGESA 10003ABBA largely solved it. BIOS with that AGESA should let you get full boost. Get newest BIOS and set PBO to auto or max settings in...
Can you replace the board, i.e return the board and get a latter version? PBO is actually shorthand for Lead(II)Oxide if you're familiar with chemistry and the periodic table.
Nope. Im stuck with it now.
I know the periodic table but i have no idea what you talking about here lol
Lead Oxide, lol, good for a base for painting with oil paints on canvas and wood, what does it have to do with computers ?
What Buildzoid was talking about is AGESA code that didn't allow 3rd gen Ryzen to boost to frequencies CPU is capable of. There was some 100 - 200MHz "missing" on automatic boost. AGESA 10003ABBA largely solved it. BIOS with that AGESA should let you get full boost. Get newest BIOS and set PBO to auto or max settings in BIOS.
After I installed BIOS with 1003ABBA (no it's not THAT Abba :) ) my 3700x boosts up to 4.4+ GHz on one or two preferred cores and 4.37 GHz on others and so gets very close to full all core OC in performance.
Btw, AGESA 1004 is in the works by AMD and should be included in BIOS versions next month promising even better PBO performance.

Solution

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
What Buildzoid was talking about is AGESA code that didn't allow 3rd gen Ryzen to boost to frequencies CPU is capable of. There was some 100 - 200MHz "missing" on automatic boost. AGESA 10003ABBA largely solved it. BIOS with that AGESA should let you get full boost. Get newest BIOS and set PBO to auto or max settings in BIOS.
After I installed BIOS with 1003ABBA (no it's not THAT Abba :) ) my 3700x boosts up to 4.4+ GHz on one or two preferred cores and 4.37 GHz on others and so gets very close to full all core OC in performance.
Btw, AGESA 1004 is in the works by AMD and should be included in BIOS versions next month promising even better PBO performance.
You Sir are a hero!! Thats what i wanted to understand.
I have the latest BIOS update installed but didnt like the PBO performance so i manually unervolted my 3700x to 1.35v and oc'ed to 4.25ghz.
Temps are pretty reasonable i would say considering my hot ambient.
Formula for lead oxide is PbO, not PBO, get your chemistry right if you want to be funny :)
SAVAGE!!