ASUS VivoBook 14 Upgrade help

Mar 31, 2020
Hey folks,

So a friend of mine got a Vivobook 14 R424DA-EK309T, and is not quite happy with the performance of it. First thing that came to mind was upgrading the memory, as it only has 4GB. After doing some searching I found out that the laptop got 4GB DDR4 2400MHz and a single slot for a new ram stick. I am not very familiar with laptops so I got a couple of questions about what to do with the upgrade.

- What memory stick is recommendable to put in the laptop? From my reading its limited to at most a 8GB stick, but I am not sure of the speed that stick can be, or the type of stick for that matter.

- From what I understood reading the integrated graphics use the memory as extra VRAM. Correct me on this if I am wrong but how would this be affected by adding another ram stick if at all.

Thanks for the time and for any help on the matter.

Your laptop has CPU with decent performance but problem is your graphics card is integrated. Meaning your CPU has AMD radeon Vega 3 graphics embedded, there is no dedicated graphics card or slot in the mothebroard. Changing your ram from 1x4gb to something like 1x8gb is certainly possible but you would not gain any performance for it since integrated graphics is holding you down and hindering your cpu performance.

Since CPU and integrated gpu is soldered in the motherboard your only way would be buy new motherboard with better specs (probably same price as new laptop) , get new laptop and sell this used (maybe take the m2. ssd for later use)

Or: try to make Egpu working , only port you could use for external graphics is the slot where your wifi card is located in the motherboard mPCIE (minipcie) or to use the M2. slot which currently in use (there might be 2nd ssd slot unused)

Are you trying to game with it or what is purpose?

Mar 31, 2020
Thanks for the reply,

The laptop is being used for games, but not the most demanding stuff. The reason Im wondering if ram cound help on performance is because 4GB seems like very little to me, and from testing my friend has issues with the machine maxing out the ram when playing games and having some software running in the background.

Mar 31, 2020
The graph on the taskmanager is hovering between 90% and 100% when doing a test in Bannerlord, with all the settings on low and resolution at 1920x1080. This is out of 3.5GB available.

Lets keep into this thread pls your post below :

""""Ok so this problem has me completely stumped. The screws along the edges and the clips are easy enough to get past, but then there is this one screw(?) in the middle. It is completely stuck and there are no grooves on it. It seems to be made of metal and is completely flat. When trying to take care f the back cover iss such on that thing. Anyone know what it is and how to get it loose? """"

You dont have to open the laptop yet, cpu-z is a program you can download this gives info about your ram stick.

Mar 31, 2020
Sorry saw the other post first. here is a dupe reply.

Thats the thing that has me confused. In the videos I have found(note, not the actual model he has, but other vivobooks. I cant find a video on his model) there is a screw in the middle of the backplate. On his machine though, there is a small, completly flat little thing there instead. It lays completly flush with the floor of the laptop and there dont seem to be a glld way of getting it out. There are no hidden screews, as we did remove 8 other screws from the underside, undid the clips and got the bottom loose. We even rotated the bottom plate a good 10 degrees just to make sure there were nothing else holding it in place.

I dont have the laptop, but Ill see if my friend can get it done and Ill update this reply. We were trying to insert an extra hard drive as the thing inly got 240GB space on it.

EDIT: The NB Frequency and the DRAM Frequency are both just south of 1200 while resting on the desktop. Is there any other information you need?

Last edited: