Question ASUS VivoBook 16 Laptop, 16” AMD Ryzen 5 7530U or Intel Core i5-13500H or ...?

sidpost

Reputable
Aug 5, 2020
  • What is your budget?
    • $500 give or take a bit
  • What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
    • 14" to 16" screen without being overly heavy
  • What screen resolution do you want?
    • I don't need 4K but, would like something reasonable , preferably better than 1920x1080
  • Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
    • No
  • How much battery life do you need?
    • >4 hours, preferably 6 hours or more
  • Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
    • I don't play computer games
  • What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
    • Email, YouTube, general surfing, occasional compiles for embedded hardware
  • How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
    • 512Gb is plenty
  • If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
    • Any major retailor in North America
  • How long do you want to keep your laptop?
    • ~3 years
  • What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
    • None
  • Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
    • I generally use HP brand hardware but, Samsung and Asus have both treated me well with tablets, phones, and similar devices
  • What country do you live in?
    • USA
  • Please tell us any additional information if needed.
    • I need a good screen with good brightness with a strong preference for IPS technology. It needs to be matte to deal with reflections outside

I'm looking at the ASUS VivoBook 16 Laptop series but, I am open to other suggestions. These seem to have better protection for use outside than the HP options I looked at. I need to travel with my laptop so, bigger than 16" is too bulky and weight is a factor.

Looking at the tech specs of the Ryzen 5 and Intel Core 5 suggest the Ryzen will have better battery life but, it is unclear if the Intel Core 5 version has the same battery. At 250 nits, I question screen brightness outside.