Asus Wants to be Another Apple; Has Killer Product

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
the only reason to use anything other than linux is sheer gaming. if you don't use your pc to game. then use linux. (and you can run a LOT of games on linux) if you want to pay double for a crApple then go ahead and support foxconn, and it's human rights \/olations that implicate murder and crApple turning a blind eye to it. Go for it, because you ha\/e no morals when it comes to your money and products. If you want a machine to game, then unfortunately you're pretty much stuck with micro$haft. Most of the money you pay them, goes to paying other people to de\/elop ONLY FOR WINDOWS. yeah. get a clue. Screw crApple for charging more for nothing you can't get elsewhere for free. and screw micro$haft for making the gaming market a closed and not free market... if you don't like what i just said... then you don't like the truth.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]xxicrimsonixx[/nom]Sounds good to me... I have already gotten on the bandwagon. I have 3x ASUS monitors, an ASUS laptop, and an ASUS motherboard or two... I think that they will be great being the next "Apple" for the PC enthusiast.[/citation]

by the way.. your "asus montiros" are just rebranded, as well is MOST of the parts on your "asus" laptop. They make mostly motherboards. and i can tell you right now that most (if not all) of your i/o ports are made by foxconn on all of your "asus" products. It's nothing you can really help. but more than likely your memory is made by samsung as well as your lcd pannels. and most of the plastics are either made by a chinese or tiwanese company. So brand loyalty really doesn't mean crap when you break it down indi\/idually, because all of the other major competitors are using the same thing. and if they arn't using foxconn for their crap, they pay more. which means smaller profit margins. but you know... you don't gi\/e half a crap about where your money goes. :D

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
[citation][nom]applocalypse[/nom]They won't be able to stand against the coming Applocalypse. Jonathan Ive is the first rider, and the iPod his white horse. He is the false prophet spreading music downloads to the masses like some kind of new religion. Many unsuspecting souls were baptized in the digital river of iTunes. Jon Rubenstein is the second rider, and the Palm Pre his red horse. He spreads conflict and war with his coming, inciting the masses to fight for the iTunes they longed for. He is the trickster, wearing many faces and USB identifiers in his quest to sew hate among the unsync'd masses. Steve Jobs is the third rider, the iPad his dark horse. He brings with him famine and drought, starving the masses of their multimedia sustenance and cheap books. His vision is singular in purpose, because people don't need to have multiple visions going at the same time anyway. Who can predict the forth rider's identity, and what pale horse he will ride. Although it could be Steve Jobs, since he has been looking rather pale lately. But that rider will bring death to the computer world as we know it, the broken corpses of desktops and laptops crushed beneath the onslaught of handheld devices. The seals have been broken, the riders have unleashed their evil plans upon the world. Nothing can be done to stop what looms ahead. The Applocalypse is upon us.........doom....Doom.....DOOM!!!!![/citation]
nice story. who wrote it?

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]What about Linux?[/citation]

this is the internet... they don't know about linux... shhhh... don't burst their bubble and tell them they didn't ha\/e to pay se\/eral hundred dollars for an operating system that sucks!!! :p

commandersozo

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
[citation][nom]stravis[/nom]I used to be a big Asus fan (mobo's and stuff) but had some bad experiences. Gigabyte scratches my itch now.[/citation]
ASUS gave you herpes?

Anyways, I can't wait to play Duke Nukem on my Eee Keyboard.

applocalypse

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thanks all of you for the comments from everyone who enjoyed my little story and sorry to everyone that were offended by it.

I was just bored the other day reading stories over at CNET with like three or four posts in the comments and I thought I'd at least get something stirred up and people talking, because all the sites seem kind of dead the last week or so as far as comments go.

But alas it was not to be. This site seems to be the last of like 15 or so that I posted it to that still hasn't removed it. I'm sure someone is sending take down letters to them as we speak and it will a distant memory by tomorrow, only to live on in Google cached views from CNET, Engadget and so forth.

Thanks Toms for resisting THE man, if only for a short time.

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]nachowarrior[/nom]this is the internet... they don't know about linux... shhhh... don't burst their bubble and tell them they didn't ha\/e to pay se\/eral hundred dollars for an operating system that sucks!!! :p[/citation]

Yea... that's why. :|

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't get it, why would ASUS look up to Apple. ASUS has a much larger market share then Apple. They would be looking down on them as ASUS sells more, has better service, and better parts. When it comes to PC motherboards, there is no company that sells more then ASUS.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
OK,
1) the GPU in the a4 processor CAN do 1080P. All it lacks is an output port (as yet unannounced Apple dock connector)
2) Anything Acer can manufacture will NOT be an always on system, with 30 days "standby" time, nor will the Tegra 2 likely be capable of 10 hours wifi 720P video playback if it also has to support a full OS as well, because they'll base it on a full OS
3) a Full OS requires maintenance, expensive software and hassle.
4) A full OS isn't operations the second I hit the power button, it has to boot up...

I don't want a tablet PC that's a PC, i want a simple, always on, instant gratification device that's a communication, research platform, document editing, and multimedia system. It should not do everything a PC can do, it;s should enable me to NOT NEED the PC except when i need to do REAL work, and I expect I'll still have a PC and a phone separately.

ram1009

Distinguished
First, I despise all things Apple but the one thing they do VERY well is customer service and that's the one thing ASUS is poorest at. It will be years before ASUS can develope a loyal following based upon customer service, if they can do it at all. Don't hold your breath.

rasheeq

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
[citation][nom]applocalypse[/nom]They won't be able to stand against the coming Applocalypse. Jonathan Ive is the first rider, and the iPod his white horse. He is the false prophet spreading music downloads to the masses like some kind of new religion. Many unsuspecting souls were baptized in the digital river of iTunes. Jon Rubenstein is the second rider, and the Palm Pre his red horse. He spreads conflict and war with his coming, inciting the masses to fight for the iTunes they longed for. He is the trickster, wearing many faces and USB identifiers in his quest to sew hate among the unsync'd masses. Steve Jobs is the third rider, the iPad his dark horse. He brings with him famine and drought, starving the masses of their multimedia sustenance and cheap books. His vision is singular in purpose, because people don't need to have multiple visions going at the same time anyway. Who can predict the forth rider's identity, and what pale horse he will ride. Although it could be Steve Jobs, since he has been looking rather pale lately. But that rider will bring death to the computer world as we know it, the broken corpses of desktops and laptops crushed beneath the onslaught of handheld devices. The seals have been broken, the riders have unleashed their evil plans upon the world. Nothing can be done to stop what looms ahead. The Applocalypse is upon us.........doom....Doom.....DOOM!!!!![/citation]
now that was ONE comment!!!!!!!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ram1009[/nom]It will be years before ASUS can develope a loyal following based upon customer service[/citation]
Where as Apple's loyal following is based on religeous fanatacism?

I think what they mean with this story is that Asus has occupied a part of the consciousness of the buying market. They truely innovated a product from nowhere, the netbook, and the world tried to copy it. They also occupied some of the marque-brand segment with the Lamborgini laptops.

Admittedly some of the other products may be stinkers or have reliability issues, but doesn't that make them more like Apple not less?

[citation][nom]nachowarrior[/nom]the only reason to use anything other than linux is sheer gaming. if you don't use your pc to game. then use linux. (and you can run a LOT of games on linux)[/citation]
Hmm... last time I checked, Cod 4, Crysis, dosen't run on Linux. Yes, it is possible with VM and/or Wine but games then run like cr@p for the most part, even with a 5870.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Well, with the fact that you can max settings on most modern games with a 3870 (or 4670), you may as well put that extra juice to use. :lol:

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]nachowarrior[/nom]this is the internet... they don't know about linux... shhhh... don't burst their bubble and tell them they didn't ha\/e to pay se\/eral hundred dollars for an operating system that sucks!!! :p[/citation]

Why would someone spend "hundreds of dollars" on an OS? Windows doesn't cost "hundreds of dollars", unless you decide to go and buy it from a store like Staples. 3 licences for Windows 7 cost me $150. $50 per license doesn't equal "hundreds" last I checked.

rasheeq

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

DOOM and IDDQD...........................brings back some good old memories :(

Oh that's totally staying up... my knee-jerk reaction was to delete the post, but I read through the whole thing and thought it was pretty well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS