Asus Windows 8 Slates to Cost as Much as $1300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Well, to be fair you'll be able to do a lot more with a W8 tablet...but I can't imagine I'd have any justification (and certainly no desire) to spend that kind of money on one when a Ultrabook would be more convenient for me.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]If you look in the mirror you'll find one.[/citation]

Obviously this is the internet and we don't know each other. But i'm pretty unbiased. I am just noting on EVERY article that even mentions or is in the same industry as apple how much completely biased responses there are. Constant "iSheep" "iCrap" type responses, usually without any evidence. It's pretty amazing. If all those apple haters got together and donated $1 each for something more productive we would cure cancer. (sarcasm)

What is all the cost in these things? The only thing I can think is the multitouch screen. Since all the other parts being used are low cost it must be. Given that the CPU, GPU, RAM, &c are all in the ultra low cost netbooks and cheapo laptops the screens must be the cost.

Otherwise they are just being fools thinking they can charge such a premium. They need to be expected the level of markups you get with regular laptops to make it in this market. Most people won't buy these if they can get an iPad for less.

Whether people on this site like it or not. To the general consumer Apple is the gold standard. Sales numbers prove that most will choose high end Apple products if the price is the same or better. This doesn't hold so much for previous generation products as they are old.

Those buying Windows or Android at the same price or more as Apple's flaghip products are the small segment of tech savvy consumers. Those that care more about performance than a simple to use device.

If MS hopes to do well they need to be priced according to Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet prices.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]brizzelsprout[/nom]The surface tabs are going to explode off the shelves. Even at these prices. What everyone is forgetting is the corporate sector. Apple anything (other than iphone) is a complete pain to get to work in a AD driven environment. Android is a good alternative but still wont hold up because of how easy it is to get spyware on them. Once you are able to buy a tab and join it to your work domain its game over. You just simply log in and have access to everything just like your workstation. This will be amazing for epmloyers. This is going to be the real introduction of the tablet into the workplace.Hands down will destroy all other tablets.[/citation]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but doubtful. Primarily because the corporate world at large is not really fond of tablets. For working, a normal laptop is cheaper, faster and more convenient. Surface may have more traction that previous tries, but i doubt it will "explode off the selves".

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I think only the cheapest is win 8 RT and others are with full win8 x86, so they will support alot more than the app store? Jane clear-up the article?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nekromobo[/nom]I think only the cheapest is win 8 RT and others are with full win8 x86, so they will support alot more than the app store? Jane clear-up the article?[/citation]
Why does it need clearing up? Read the article, contains all the info you need

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
LOL!! This some of the posts here are funny...! Microsoft had failed in the tablet market for 10 years, they didn't even bother trying with Windows7 - then blame their partners for failing in the tablet markets.

These $1000~1400 slates -er tablets use the same hardware as used in the current ASUS/Samsung slates (I gather that anything that can run a full blown OS is a Slate vs a tablet for some reason).

The Windows7 tablet has been on the market for over 2 years... they have always been $1200+... pretty much nobody buys these. Look in any store... nope. There is a reason that the iPad took off, the form-factor in the $400~600 price range that allows you to access content was all that was needed. Add a wireless keyboard and you can enter text.

There is 3D gaming on tablets... as long as you have a browser, you can do pretty much anything on a tablet... with Android or iOS easily. They PROVE you don't need a Windows OS to get something done, and WindowsRT is not Windows in function. Its just in name. Metro replaces Windows... but who needs it? I imagine there will be some people who will buy the $500~600 MS WART tablets and then feel they there is a bait and switch that requires them to buy the $1000~1400 models.

The confusion and weak position of MS with Metro/Windows H8TE will cause failure.

jackt

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
WIN8 is a piece of crap, will be a fail ! the user interface is getting worse every new win version, starting from vista...

G

A tegra3 10.1 inch tablet packing Office 2013 selling at $599? Seems to me Asus is just taking another Transformer Prime device, install Windows RT and Office 2013 on it, then charges the Microsoft tax (RT + Office) on top of the selling price of the original Transformer Prime, while maintaining the same profit margin as before. It is very likely other vendors are doing the same thing.

Microsoft has not realized how dangerous it is to lose this tablet wars game at this point? They should have just sold the Office 2013 in the app store instead of bundling. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft is willing to undercut the competition with their own Surface. It might have been best for Microsoft to come forward to tell the world how they are going to price the Surface tablet now, so that they sort of set as benchmark price on the tablet. Instead of letting each vendor come up with their own prices and then have to make the decision to (1) undercut them and offend them or (2) follow their lead and ends up pricing too high and fails to sell them.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I'm waiting for a Surface-like tablet with a low-voltage Trinity (or its successor). Now that I'd buy, and it'd be cheaper than any Intel-powered tablet.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
As technological iTardia hits more and more of the technologically challenged populace, many companies will embrace overpricing products in an attempt to appeal to the sensibility of morons who think that the more they paid for a device, the better the product they purchased is. We have to thank iCrap for unleashing this business model. Sad to see that Asus is embracing this business model.

pedroknd

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
For that price, you can get a better ultrabook.
The RT version + keyboard, should have the price around the same of a Transformer Prime series. That price is too much.
My opinion (even if they are good tablets) is that is a "shot in the foot" (bad move, price to high).

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Ballhmer already shot down the $200 rumored price. Expect the WART tablet to come in around $500 with keyboard and $1000~1200 for the x86 version (with keyboard).

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nomthe Nexus 7 has the same CPU for HUNDREDS less...[/citation]
There are various grades of Tegra 3, so i don't think the nexus 7 has the same tegra 3 as this.

zakkenayo

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
" Built for reading, browsing and watching, they weren't billed as productivity machines."
Shouldn't the second one be built as well? :

G

greed,pure and simple greed.hopefully it will flop.but idk ,seems the higher the price then the bigger the status symbol.a I hope H.P.sells a 299 laptop with windows 7 and a thousand dollar bill for 1300 ,that will be my choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS