Asus Windows Mixed Reality Headset Review: Nice, But High-Priced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandoVash

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Great review Tom's on the ASUS WMR HMD, I like the new FOV Tool. I really wanted the Asus HMD when it launched, but equally dissappointed that it did not have more Samsung like features for the price level. I am currently a Lenovo Explorer (got for $200+tax during April sale) & prior Oculus Rift owner.

After this review, I am curious about 2 things:
1.) Controller tracking seems on par now with the Rift IMO from the 3D frontal plane of the HMD cameras. I do wonder if Asus camera locations might have better fiew arcs than the Lenovo, as the Lenovo cameras are sunk in a little on the protruding camera bar.
2.) I agree in the review a comparison needs to be made with the lenses. The Lenovo lens viewing "sweet-spot" is a bit smaller compared to the RIFT, but from your image of the Asus blur section the "sweet-spot" does seem to be larger.

In Conclusion, I hope MS & Steam sticks to its word at continuing to support the WMR platform and it is encouraging to see WMR HMD numbers starting to increase on Steam charts. I also hope more tech publishers like Tom's keeps on breathing more life in the platform as well. Thanks again.

Short PC Specs: i5-6600K (oC'd to 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1070, 16GB's Ram)

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I too wanted Asus' WMR back in October, but bought the Lenovo. Quite happy with it. I bought the PSVR and Oculus prior to the WMR. But I figure my bases are covered now. (Would really get the Samsung now if I got another)

I think that line might need a couple corrections.

I'm surprised there weren't more direct feature comparisons made to Samsung's Odyssey considering it was the most recent Windows Mixed Reality headset you reviewed, and has a similarly premium price compared to what the other Windows headsets are selling for. The Odyssey may have had a higher launch price, but sites like Amazon and Newegg are selling it for $399 now, making it arguably the better choice compared to this headset. Not only does it have the more ergonomic controllers, but also a mechanical IPD adjustment, integrated headphones and microphones, and AMOLED screens. Clearly Asus needs to drop this headset's price, and I expect it to join the other Windows headsets at a price under $300 within a few months or so.

LandoVash

Reputable
May 14, 2014
FYI, the Lenovo Explorer is back to $199 today
www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/lenovo-explorer-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8n5sn73q2xvg/0j0z?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS