[SOLVED] asus wireless -ax1800 wont allow new devices to connect to router unless I power it down then turn it back on

addixkmac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
Hello,

I purchased a new Asus Wireless-AX1800 recently and I have been having a lot of issues with it. One of the issues is that it will not allow new devices to connect onto it after sitting for a few hours/days then trying to connect a device (Nintendo switch in this case) unless I restart the router by pressing the power button, waiting 10 seconds then powering it back on. Is there a default max amount of clients on a Asus router? currently I have 14 (one wired , 13 wireless) when I first got the router, I updated it to the newest firmware, I'm now wondering if I should have not done that, but I did not test it with the original firmware before using it. When trying to connect the Nintendo switch, I can see the SSID and type in the password but the error that it says is "cannot obtain IP address". I have it set to using 802.11ax and have Dual-Band Smart Connect on so it condenses the 2.4GHz and 5GHz into one SSID.

where should I be looking at changing?

Thanks!

Never upgrade firmware to the latest unless you need to fix something--all new firmware also comes with bugs that end up getting fixed in later firmwares. The shipping firmware is usually the most stable because they can't have problems out of the box or they will lose sales.

See if you can go back to the factory version firmware. If not, just return it and get another one and this time don't mess with the firmware--just use it.

Reactions: addixkmac

addixkmac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
Simplify your config. Disable ax. Set the 2.4 and 5ghz SSIDs to unique values. Manually set channels. 1,6, or 11 for 2.4ghz. A channel below 50 for 5ghz. Set channel width to 20 mhz for 2.4 and 40mhz for 5ghz. As basic as possible.
I will try this out if I see more issues after installing the custom firmware, thank you!