Question Asus x399-a + threadripper 1920x system not booting for first time : AD err

Jul 10, 2019
Hello everyone, I mounted a new pc yesterday and after many hours, when I thought it was over, the machine finally won't boot.

First I'll give you the list of the hardware
mb: asus prime x399-a
cpu: threadripper 1920x
cooler: liqtech tr4 360-II
ram: 4x16 corsair CMK64GX4M4D3000C16 (which I found to NOT be on the qvl list unfortunately.. I never heard about qvl until yesterday when it didn't boot and I started looking for similar issues on google)
M.2 ssd 960evo+
2 x hdd

At first, the fans (only 2) were starting and stopping few seconds later, and then nothing else. Only the motherboards rgb led where doing their gradient light stuff. No Qcode or onboard led were lit. I decided to unmount everything and tried putting the mb on cardboard, without all the disks and so on.

Here I have plugged only 1x 16gb ram, my gpu, and cpu fan. Now, when pressing power, the fans start, some codes pop up in Qcode, it changes it display few of them and then, it just stops on AD (boot event ready, I'm not sure what that means) with the iboot led lit in yellow/green. I tried switching the ram to other slots, I tried A1, B1, D1, C1, the all four that are recommended. It doesn't change.

Speaking about fans, only 2 of the 3 fans on the radiator are running (the one on the right, hidden behind cables is not running). I tried unplugging this fan from the 3 pmw adapter and plugging it somewhere else but it didn't change.

I'm stuck here and don't know what to do. :( Any idea? I've read about updating bios or things like that but I don't know how to do and since nothing starts, I'm quite lost.

Thanks in advance !
O4RFoYA.jpg

Mkx7ZXp.jpg

Jul 10, 2019
I just tried removing the M2 drive and now, it shows error code A2 instead of AD, both with 4 dims and only 1 dimm. Not sure if that helps you understanding what's happening here or not.

First thing to do is update your Bios.
Fortunately you have Flashback on your rear IO panel.
Download the latest Bios file from ASUS support to an empty FAT32 USB stick and rename the file to PX399A.CAP
Insert the USB into the correct port for flashback as per page 2-13 in your manual.
Press the flashback button for 3 secs till it begins to blink. Allow a couple of mins to complete and your done.

If the system post stops on Qcode A2 then you have a Legacy Boot event and the system does not recognize your DISK or the M.2 was not installed. Qcode AD is an indication the system is ready to boot.

Oh the marvels of the Qcode led.

Once your Bios is updated, go into Bios to set your RAMs SPD which can be got from the Tools menu in Bios or from CPUz in Windows. Just have one DIMM module in the A1 slot to test. You can add the others later. Bear in mind you have 64GB of RAM which is quite a strain on the CPUs IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) so if it fails to Boot with all 64MB installed then you will have to probably increase DRAM voltage and Tweak your Primary Timings.

Just because the RAM kit you have is not on the QVL does not mean they will not work. Because they are OC RAM they may default to a lower than rated frequency and you will have to configure your RAM manually.

Please report back and let us now have you go.

Jul 10, 2019
Thank you MeanMachine41 for your fast answer ! I just updated the bios with usb disk and now, after hitting power, it stops on D7 error code : no input consolde detected, I still don't get into the bios. I am using only 1 stick of ram in the A1 slot.

Jul 10, 2019
After clearing CMOS (putting a screwdriver between two pins or CLRTC for 10 seconds, right?), it show error code A2. Should I remove the M2 disk and try without? Or trying with a standard sata 3.5 disk?

I checked the cabling. It's pretty simple so far so I thought I didn't make any mistake but it's still worth asking.

UlwNJ2v.jpg

In the first picture I show 8 pin and 4 pin cables for cpu. I have 2 cables with separated 4 pin heads. I assumed that for the 8 pin slot, we use both heads. But the shape of the pins doesn't match perfectly as you can see on picture. I've drawn so dots(red dot= square, blue=diamond, MB pattern on the bottom, cable head pattern on top) to make sure what I was saying was clear. On the mb, we have alternated square shapes and some kind of diamond shapes, but on the cable side, one 4pin part is only diamond and the other has the alternated diamond/square patterns. I assumed it was not a big deal. For the 4 pin slot, I'm using the cable head that has diamond and squares to match the mb pattern.

wwJGFra.jpg

Here is my psu cabling. Everything seems pretty clear.

HuE5g1I.jpg

And last, cpu fans. I followed the manual given with enermax liqtech cooler. Pump cable going to AIO_PUMP just below the cpu, to the left. And all 3 cables coming from fans, going to the 3way adapter, which is pluggen to CPU_FAN on top right of the mb. However as I said earlier, one of the three fans is not working (and has never worked since yesterday)

Mouse and keyboard (steelseries, with some rgb lighting and custom options.. unfortunately I don't have more standard ones with only regular features) are plugged into usb in back panel of the mb, first 2 slots at the very top of it.

Are you sure your Bios update successfully. During flashback, if the Flashback led on the button is continuously lit then there is an error. Can be an error in the file, has not been renamed properly or a faulty USB stick.

Ensure both 8pin and 4pin sockets are populated and I think you have it correct.
The fact you had a Qcode AD was indicating you were nearly there?
Not sure about the AIO fan? disconnect it and try in a different header to test.

Jul 10, 2019
The bios update was blinking for few minutes, and then stopped. I assumed it worked so I unplugged the usb disk and proceeded to unplug power + clear cmos after that and restart. It did not change anything and still shows A2 err. Do I have to keep the disk plugged when I restart the system?

Jul 10, 2019
I tripled checked all cabling, both on mb side and psu side, everything seem perfectly fitted. Still stuck on A2.

I also tried to plug a sata drive and when doing that, the system just does not start anymore. When pressing pwr btn I hear some click in the psu, lights flash for half a second and everything goes back to idle. Kind of losing hope tbh :( Is it possible that the psu disfunctions and does not provide enough power or something like that? It's 650w 80+ titanium from seasonic. When I plug a sata power cord to it, it won't start anymore. Without sata power cord, stuck on A2...

Trying with another monitor might change something or not at all? I have a wqhd one. I guess not but once again, still worth asking

Last edited:
That's a very good PSU , Never heard of a Seasonic Ti providing less than true voltage under load. 650w should be enough to boot the system. I don't think that's your issue . My bet it's an issue with the disk.
Check your SATA connections as that's the only other thing I can think of.

Jul 10, 2019
I tried pluging the M2 disk to the second M2 slot, stuck on A2.

I then removed it totally, plugged in a sata 3.5 disk. Now the psu does not start. There are some moments when it did some clicks, and a bzzzz sound when switching the psu from 0 to I. I recorded how it looks when trying to click pwr button on the mb. Lights go on, psu fan spins for a sec and everything stops.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsx79f9hC0&feature=youtu.be