Asus x470 Tuf Gaming Plus MB hangs at post

May 30, 2018
New build hangs on post screen and will not respond to any input, (F-key or delete). However, if I hit the reset button at that same screen, system reboots properly. I have only one boot option enabled, which is a 250 GB SSD that has a fresh install of Windows 10. Have dual 16 GB memory sticks overclocked to 3200 mhz. Also have Ryz 7 2700x and an R9 390x gpu.

Solution
Is the computer slower to boot after you hit the reset button?

Fast Boot:
[Disabled] Allows your system to go back to its normal boot speed.
[Enabled] Allows your system to accelerate the boot speed.

The following items appear only when you set the Fast Boot to [Enabled].

Next Boot after AC Power Loss:
[Normal Boot] Returns to normal boot on the next boot after an AC power loss.
[Fast Boot] Accelerates the boot speed on the next boot after an AC power loss.

May 30, 2018
Sorry slow to respond, went down for the night. No, system reboots fairly fast after reset button hit, about 10-15 seconds to windows screen. I have noticed though that cold boot from system off seems to take longer than it should to get to the post screen where it hangs. Maybe it just SEEMS long. Fast boot was enabled, so I disabled it and tried that with no success. Still hangs at post screen. I'm still able to get through post and into windows by either holding power button down until it dies, causing the next post to be in safe mode, or hitting reset, in which case it loads Windows properly. Also, built this last week and haven't updated MB bios, and am hesitant to do so if system is running well, (other than annoying post). What do you recommend. Might it be the cause of post hang?

You should update the BIOS. The latest version relates to system start up.

BIOS Version 4012 - Update AGESA 1.0.0.2a + SMU 43.18
AGESA (AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture)
SMU (Storage Management Utility)

Solution
May 30, 2018
Great, I'll give it a try then. Hopefully it will resolve the issue. If not, i guess I could live with the annoyance. Not worth returning the MB over it. Thanx for your time!

Jul 3, 2018

Iam having the same exact issue....new build( TUF plus gaming MOBO, ryzen 5 2600x, 16GB ram, 1060 graphics). I want to know if you had solved the problem cause its very annoying. I have updated the bios to the latest version but no positive result.

May 30, 2018
BIOS update didn't help my problem either. I happened to run into this solution doing more research and it worked for me.
https://lifehacker.com/shutting-down-windows-10-doesnt-actually-shut-down-wind-1825532376
By default Windows 10 was saving a snapshot of the computer state to my hard drive and then trying to reload it on restart. I can't remember now where I found it, but you can also delete this "snapshot" file from your hard drive, and it can be quite large, I think mine was about 4Gb.

Jul 3, 2018

Thanks a lot. This is also working for me now, I have switched off my system multiple times and its taking the initial boot for now. But I still don't understand that whether it's a motherboard problem or a windows issue. Maybe the next bios/windows update may fix this issue. Thanks again for the tip, this was very helpful.

May 30, 2018

Geriman

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
Hello.

Yesterday I've installed a new Asus x470 TUF Gaming Plus MB and encountered the same issue.

Just want to update that a bios update to the latest version (4207) solved the issue for me.

Good luck!