Question ASUS X555D Black screen after bios update

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_justin

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2017
Hello everyone,
I am having a serious issue..a rather frustrating one. My laptop just has a black screen after a bios update. It was working perfect before the bios update.

Asus live updater (or whatever it is called) popped up and said that I needed a bios update. I was like "Sure. I have the time". My battery was completely charged, and I also had it plugged in.

So, the update goes, the bar is full (it's in the bios updating...we all know that texture and look). Then the laptop just goes black. Link lights still on.

Except for I noticed a sound. A sound that makes me think of a gear turning? I have finally narrowed it down that it is the cd tray. So, I take that out and it still is stuck on a black screen.

I've tried everything.

I've tried holding the power button, I've removed the battery. I've looked for the CMOS battery, but this laptop doesn't have one on the boards. I've taken the whole mother board out. I've tried plugging the laptop up to another monitor, I've tried unplugging the display from the motherboard and plugging it up to another monitor.

The lights on the laptop are working and so is the fan, but the screen remains black. Almost as if it's not even on.

I'm really at a lost of what to do in this situation.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Not to shame you or anything, as this can happen to anyone, but this is a good example of why I think we should tread carefully before recommending (or applying) BIOS updates. There's risk in updating system firmware.

Anyways, sorry King_justin. 😖 I think you've done all you can without specialized tools and know-how to reprogram the BIOS chip. See if you can find a good, local tech with an EPROM machine that can help you. I'm guessing it's going to come down either to that, or to replacing the motherboard. :( (You can try contacting Asus support, but if you're in warranty they will likely need to RMA the machine, and if it's out of warranty, they may not help.)

Jun 24, 2020
Hi King, i have the exact same issue, and ironically I did exactly what you mentioned BEFORE i read your post. Just curious to know if you were able to fix the issue on your own or did you take it to a shop/OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.