Question Asus x570 Prime Pro strange behaviour -- stable when overclocked, but unstable at normal speed ?

psyk3d

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2014
Hi,
I'm using the following configuration:
Mobo: Asus Prime x570-pro/csm
Processor: Ryzen 3700x
Ram: 8gb x4 Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz
PSU: Corsair RM650x
GPU: Zotac nVidia 1060 6gb
WD blue nvme SSD

On default settings in BIOS, my computer keeps crashing, Windows keep BSODing with random error codes every 10 - 15 mins. Linux keeps freezing with last 1 second of whatever audio was playing repeating.
One would expect that default settings work "out of the box".
However, setting the following options in BIOS does wonders and make the pc super stable:
Ai overclock: from (auto) to (D.O.C.P.)
TPU: from (keep current settings) to (TPU 1)
Using these settings since 2 days, and computer hasn't crashed it yet.
Going back to previous settings starts the problem again.

The problem with these settings is that they make the CPU run at 4050 Mhz. I'm not a fan of overclocking, even though the box cooler doesn't let the cpu get above 75 celcius at those settings.

Please suggest me what to do, asus guys just gave me troubleshooting steps and service center phone number. This is my main machine, and I cannot afford to loose however many weeks they take to RMA unless absolutely necessary. Is this normal behaviour? Is it because my RAM is 3000 MHz? The sticker on ram says 1.35v but (Ai overclock: auto) runs it at 1.2v.

Here are some troubleshooting steps I've done to narrow the problem down to those bios modifications:

• Tried different RAM, tried all RAM sticks one by one in 1 2 4 config.
  • Tried all versions of BIOS up to the very latest (4021)
  • Tried different nvme
  • Tried different GPU (an old amd r7 260)
  • Tried multiple Operating systems: Windows 8, 10 11, Linux: Ubuntu, Pop_OS, Manjaro, OpenSUSE, Arch etc. Linux is more stable, it crashes only once or twice a day, windows was highly unstable, would crash every 10 - 15 mins no matter the version.
  • Replaced my PSU in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
IS this a new PC?
I seen this sort of thing on old PC that have been overclocked all their lives and now won't run at standard. But on a new PC? that is not right

It could be the motherboard or the CPU really.

Only real tests for AMD CPU is prime95
All - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Its possible the extra voltage given is enough to remove the errors. Prime95 often reports rounding errors and a fix is to up voltage on ram/cpu

DOCP = XMP.

psyk3d

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2014
IS this a new PC?
I seen this sort of thing on old PC that have been overclocked all their lives and now won't run at standard. But on a new PC? that is not right

It could be the motherboard or the CPU really.

Only real tests for AMD CPU is prime95
All - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Its possible the extra voltage given is enough to remove the errors. Prime95 often reports rounding errors and a fix is to up voltage on ram/cpu

DOCP = XMP.

This is 2 years old machine. I haven't used it much during the *demic. I've been using it as my main machine only since 5 - 6 months, because my main laptop has only intel uhd20 gpu. Since I was on linux most of the time, crashes were not that frequent, it even went a few days without a crash so I didn't give much thoughts to it, I was busy blaming my choice of distro and systemd. Now that I have to start editing videos on this machine, I installed windows, and it was horrible. It even crashed during installation several times. I have been trying to seriously troubleshoot this mess since 10 days.
Searching through the web I found that a setting called "cpu ratio" would let me set my pc to 3600 Mhz, but I'm bit scared about messing with those settings. There is a chance that two months later or so I'll get some money to buy me a new laptop with better specs and at least a 3070 gpu. I can only afford to send this motherboard for rma then, I still have a year of warranty left on the mobo and cpu. Hopefully it doesn't start crashing on these settings anymore.
Is there some place where I can read about these settings in depth? Asus user manual wasn't much helpful, sadly.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I did use prime95 among others to benchmark stability.