Asus X79-Deluxe CPU Overheating in BIOS

streamtech

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
New build. Booting into BIOS w/default settings, CPU temp and Fan RPMs will climb until the temperature bar is in the red (shut it down at 75 degrees Celsius). What is weird is that the problem only manifests in the BIOS. Booting into Win7 Pro, temps drop to an average 45 degrees and remain there. Tried flashing BIOS to current 0701 version, no change. Problem exists on 3 separate boards.

Power supply is Corsair 750w, CPU is 4930k i7, 32GB DDR3 1600

Solution
With most motherboards, Intel's Speedstep is disabled while in the BIOS setup, so it doesn't downclock any of the cores when idle. Where the OS uses Speedstep to keep power usage low. That is probably the cause of your conundrum. If it is overheating in the bios, it will almost certainly overheat faster under strain in the OS.

dgingeri

Distinguished
45C is still quite high. Mine averages 30-32C in Windows, and doesn't even get to 45C while gaming, even when I was using an air cooler. (I have an H100 now, but that wouldn't be much help at idle.) I'd say your cooler is either loose or inadequate for the job.

streamtech

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
We use a custom Cooljag 1U cooler as the chassis is a portable. Paste is standard Arctic Silver. 45 is with the case open and the chassis cooling is on the back panel. Putting it back in place drops idle temp some. We're OK with the temp in Windows, but can't figure out why things climb to the moon when in the BIOS.

streamtech

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
Its the new black/gold X79. We are testing the board. Shipped with BIOS v0605, we've updated to 0701. Booting into the BIOS with no changes and within 30 minutes, the temp bar is in the red, fan is running at max RPM.

dgingeri

Distinguished
With most motherboards, Intel's Speedstep is disabled while in the BIOS setup, so it doesn't downclock any of the cores when idle. Where the OS uses Speedstep to keep power usage low. That is probably the cause of your conundrum. If it is overheating in the bios, it will almost certainly overheat faster under strain in the OS.

Solution