Asus X99-A doesn't POST with Q-Code 68 and VGA_LED solid red

RedMindZ

Prominent
May 8, 2017
So yesterday, my pc was working completely fine. Today I turned it on and it did not POST with the Q-Code 68 (pci host bridge initialization) showing on the motherboard. The code stays there as long as the computer has power. The VGA_LED turns solid red a little bit before it gets to the Q-Code 68.

I tried booting the computer with a single ram stick, changing to a different GPU (a new RX480), booting with no GPU at all, clearing the CMOS,
reseating the RAM, reconnecting all of the PSU cables, but still nothing helps.

I doubt its a hardware problem, since the system worked perfectly well yesterday, but I may be completely wrong.

System specs:
CPU: Intel core I-7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
Motherboard: Asus X99-A
PSU: Corsair RM850i
RAM: Balistix 4x4gb quad channel memory @ 2400 Mhz
Storage: Samsung 950 pro nvme ssd 512Gb + 2Tb Toshiba harddrive

The system is 2 years old and have been extremely stable with the CPU's overclock.
How can I solve this issue?

Solution
I have seen that post and tried replacing the thermal paste to no success. I think I will be taking my PC to a computer store to see if they can test a different motherboard/CPU.

Thank you for your help.

RedMindZ

Prominent
May 8, 2017

Do you mean without ram either? I did not try that with no RAM at all, but with only RAM and CPU it is the same code (68).

RedMindZ

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Yes, I tested two different GPUs (GTX 760 and RX480), and I have a different power supply that I can test.

The different RX480 had the same result as the GTX 760.

I will test the other power supply in a minute

RedMindZ

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I have seen that post and tried replacing the thermal paste to no success. I think I will be taking my PC to a computer store to see if they can test a different motherboard/CPU.

Thank you for your help.

Solution